Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What do I need to replace dead outdoor outlet, brother-in-law removed it

Old 04-17-09, 12:46 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm a new homeowner...so I've been getting some help around my house for some random things.

My brother-in-law decided he'd be an electrician yesterday since there was an outlet that didn't work in the back. He successfully removed the dead outlet...put in a new one, and it tested fine. The problem is, I don't think it's an outdoor outlet.

He told me to see if I have a friend who's an electrician so they can put an outside box on it.

What materials do I need?

I also will need to cut the vinyl siding. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-09, 01:30 PM
J
There isn't really any such thing as an "outdoor outlet". There are only outdoor enclosures for regular outlets. Exactly what you need depends on the location of the outlet. Can you better describe the exact location other than simply "in the back"?

Old 04-19-09, 01:51 PM
J
I've seen "weatherproof" receptacles at one of the big box stores. I think Cooper makes them. I'm not sure how they differ from regular receptacles.

Old 04-19-09, 03:31 PM
N
Ok so this outlet is outside, on the wall of your house? Did he just put in a regular outlet and plate as if it was inside the house?

Old 04-19-09, 08:03 PM
C
As was said, the recepticals themselves aren't "outdoor", rather it is the box/cover that make them that.

Old 04-20-09, 12:18 PM
P
Is the outet-box a "flush-type" box ? A "flush" box is concealed underneath the surface of the interior / exterior wall finish . The wall finish should be trimmed close to the exposed outline of the box opening. The opening is sealed with a weather-tite cover , which could be a cover for either a switch or a receptacle, or a blank" cover.

The receptacle MUST be a GFI receptacle.

Old 04-20-09, 12:31 PM
J
The receptacle MUST be a GFI receptacle.
To be more precise, it must be GFCI protected, either at this outlet or upstream from it. That doesn't necessarily require a GFCI receptacle in this outlet.