EMT bender handle thread size

Old 04-17-09, 01:17 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EMT bender handle thread size

Does anybody know if the Greenlee 842 (1" EMT) bender uses a regular pipe thread so I can just make my own handle out of a piece of pipe or is it a special thread? I bought the bender without a handle and the one from my 1/2 and 3/4" bender is too small.
Thanks,
Grumple

Old 04-17-09, 01:26 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
All of them I've used have a standard iron pipe threaded handle which is also the same sizes and threads as rigid conduit or galvanized plumbing pipe.

Old 04-17-09, 02:24 PM
G
Ok great. I didn't want to take the bender to the store and I was hoping they didn't do the proprietary thing to make money selling handles with a weird thread pitch or something.
Thanks,
Grumple
Beer 4U2

Old 04-18-09, 11:34 AM
J
Originally Posted by Grumple View Post
Ok great. I didn't want to take the bender to the store and I was hoping they didn't do the proprietary thing to make money selling handles with a weird thread pitch or something.
Thanks,
Grumple
Beer 4U2
NPT standard threads should work as suggested. Many hardware stores have a thread cutter and will put threads on your own pipe for a couple bucks. i.e. cut a piece of scrap pipe to size, and have the hardware store cut threads into one end.

Jamie

Old 04-19-09, 04:43 PM
G
Got it done already. Just bought a 4 footer from the plumbing section with threads on both ends. Fit perfect. I know I used regular rigid pipe on my smaller Gardner emt benders and it was 3/4" NPT but wasn't sure if Greenlee was proprietary as they also sell handles and they seemed pricey to me. All is good.
Beer 4U2
Grumple

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: