New Timer Switch Installation Help

Old 04-19-09, 12:36 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Timer Switch Installation Help

Purchased a timer switch that has a black, blue, red, and green wires on it. Outside lights are already wired to each other, but I will not be using the current wall switch to turn them on. Instead will be installing the new timer switch in a different location (garage). When I called the switch manufacturer they informed me that the timer switch does not require a neutral. Due to this, I pulled one 2-wire (plus ground) to the new timer switch location and split the black and white wires. Connected the black to an existing circuit/load and the other end to the black wire on the timer switch. Connected the white wire (re-coded this white wire to black as it will be the load from the switch to the lights) to the black wire on the outside light and the other end to the blue wire on the timer switch. Connected the ground to the green wire on the switch. No connection to the red wire on the timer switch.

Installed timer switch battery and turned lights on manually, but the outside lights did not turn on. Wondering if the outside lights need a neutral connection in order to work (or should connect the load to both the black and white wires in the outside light). Please help!!!
Regards,
-g

Old 04-19-09, 12:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your load requires a neutral if it is 120 volts AC. Your switch does not deal in neutrals as all you are doing is breaking and making the hot wires. What was the brand and model of switch you purchased?

Old 04-19-09, 01:15 PM
G
It is a Intermatic Self-Adjusting Wall Switch Timer. Model number ST01. Yes, the house is 120V.

Old 04-19-09, 07:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you are replacing an existing switch, you have a switch loop in the box, consisting of (technically) two black wires broken by the switch. One of those wires goes to the black wire on the new timer and the other black wire from the old box goes to the blue wire. The red wire is not used. Cap it off. Your load needs a neutral. Was there a neutral in the original switch box? If so, it needs to be carried to the new switch location along with the other wires. So you may need to stretch a 14-3 wg (or 12-3 wg, depending on your amperage.

Old 04-19-09, 08:47 PM
G
This is a new timer switch installation. No existing wires to the new switch box, but using the existing outside light fixtures. Because the tech support for the Intermatic switch said that only a load was needed I only pulled one 12/2 to the new box and planned to split the wires (as it was difficult to get the wire through the header in the attic). Guess I'll need to pull another pair of wires and connect one to the load and the other to the existing outside lights. That is unless you have any other ideas that could save me from having to pull another wire...
Thanks,
-g

Old 04-19-09, 10:14 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gmershon View Post
This is a new timer switch installation. No existing wires to the new switch box, but using the existing outside light fixtures. Because the tech support for the Intermatic switch said that only a load was needed I only pulled one 12/2 to the new box and planned to split the wires (as it was difficult to get the wire through the header in the attic). Guess I'll need to pull another pair of wires and connect one to the load and the other to the existing outside lights. That is unless you have any other ideas that could save me from having to pull another wire...
Thanks,
-g
I'm having trouble understanding what you did. Where is the power in from the breaker. Is it at one of the lights? Do you know what a switch loop is? If so is the two conductor wire in the new box a switch loop from where the power comes in?

Assuming power comes in at one light fixture do you have a cable going to the the second fixture from the first?

Old 04-19-09, 11:52 PM
G
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
I'm having trouble understanding what you did. Where is the power in from the breaker. Is it at one of the lights? Do you know what a switch loop is? If so is the two conductor wire in the new box a switch loop from where the power comes in?

Assuming power comes in at one light fixture do you have a cable going to the the second fixture from the first?
I've pulled power from an existing lightning breaker circuit in the garage to the new timer switch box. There is no power going to the existing outside lights and yes, they are cabled together with 12/2 romex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: