Abandon wire inside walls

Old 04-19-09, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Abandon wire inside walls

I'm moving some receptacles and will need to rewire some downstream outlets because of this. Is it OK to abandon unused wire in the walls? I was thinking about capping the hot and neutral and wrapping them in black electrical tape. Because they're stapled, I don't see how I can get them out of the walls.

Thanks // MarkDIY

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No electrical Pro, but from what I understand, cut it back, do as you suggest and label (with pen or perm marker) at both ends. Use something that won't degrade with time for the tag.

Old 04-19-09, 04:00 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I was thinking about capping the hot and neutral and wrapping them in black electrical tape. Because they're stapled, I don't see how I can get them out of the walls.
If they are still live they can not be abandoned in the wall. If they aren't live no wire nuts needed. The fact you want to wire-nut them leads me to speculate they are still hot. If they are they must be terminated in an accessible Jbox.

Old 04-19-09, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If they are still live they can not be abandoned in the wall. If they aren't live no wire nuts needed. The fact you want to wire-nut them leads me to speculate they are still hot. If they are they must be terminated in an accessible Jbox.
To restate what ray2047 has said, if you know for absolute sure that both ends of this one cable are disconnected and there is no possible way power can ever travel on this one wire, you can abandon the cable. If not, you need to box all conductor terminations.

But, does the outlet absolutely have to move? Is it in the way of something or is this an esthetic choice?

Old 04-19-09, 06:42 PM
I am moving my stove and the current outlet will be right above it. I need to move it over to the right about 12 inches. The source is coming up from the bottom of the box and there is another line coming in from the top. The top line goes up the wall, across the ceiling and down the wall to another outlet. It will be hard to move both lines over to the right, especially since I need to cross a stud. I was going to abandon the top line and wire a new line in from the bottom that goes through the crawlspace and back up the wall to the outlet.

Old 04-20-09, 09:04 AM
Ok, well as said before, you can't abandon live wires in a wall. You need to be sure that there are no other splices in this cable from outlet to outlet such that the conductors might become live while inside the wall. You also can't put a splice in the wall. Following those guidelines use your judgment. If you're sure the cable can't become live, abandon it.

Btw, is there access above the ceiling?

Old 04-20-09, 01:01 PM
If the existing outlet-box will be above the stove when the stove is moved , what prevents you from simply leaving the box in place as a splice-box , and sealing the box-opening with a blank plate ?