Place outlet in cold air return wall cavity

Old 04-26-09, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Place outlet in cold air return wall cavity

I'm rearranging my kitchen and want to install a new outlet above a 15" section of countertop (according to code). However, attached to the studs under the drywall is sheet metal because the stud cavity is being used a cold air return from the upstairs. Can I still put an outlet in this space?

Thanks // MarkDiy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-09, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
No can do. Plastic boxes may not be in air handling spaces. Unless you can box around the box with wood or drywall. Romex may pass through the space but that is pretty much it.

You will have to figure out another place such as the upper above the counter or on the side or front of the cabinet.

Old 04-26-09, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Romex may pass through the space but that is pretty much it.
To clarify, it may only pass through the duct perpendicular to the long dimension of the duct.

Rick

Old 04-26-09, 01:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's NEC Section 300.22(C), Exception: This section shall not apply to the joist or stud spaces of dwelling units where the wiring passes through such spaces perpendicular to the long dimension of such spaces.

Here's the commentary (bold mine):

The exception to 300.22(C) permits cable to pass through joist or stud spaces of a dwelling unit. The joist space is covered with sheet metal and used as a cold-air return for a forced warm-air central heating system. Equipment such as junction boxes or device enclosures is not permitted in this location.

----------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson

Old 04-26-09, 02:48 PM
I'll hold off for now and will see what the inspector says. Thank you.

Old 04-26-09, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If you need to, you can install a junction box in the cold air return as long as you use "plenum-rated" materials such as a metal junction box, metallic wiring method like MC or AC cable or conduit and caulk the openings. It's not impossible, just a little more work and cost to do it right. The issue with installing plastic is that the PVC blue boxes and romex cable fumes out some nasty smoke if it catches fire and you don't want that in the air handling system.