240 VAC Outdoor Switch for Pool Pump

Old 04-27-09, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
240 VAC Outdoor Switch for Pool Pump

We have a 240 Vac pool pump, 1 HP. It is controlled by an electromechanical timer. In order to do any pump on/off cycles it is necessary to open the timer mechanism and toggle a lever back and forth. If it is near the time on or off cycle , it can be difficult to even move the lever due to the mechanism trip point. I would like to add a weatherproof switch just below the timer in line with the pump. I know that I need a 240 Vac rated switch at 20 amperes. Do I need to use a single pole or a double pole switch?
Thanks
Mark

Old 04-27-09, 10:13 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
You need to have at least one disconnect switch which opens both poles. Your timer probably meets this requirement already if it's a double-pole, which means that your secondary switch could be either a single-pole or a double-pole depending on your preference. If you don't already have the double-pole disconnection in the timer, then install a double-pole switch.

BTW, a 15A switch is okay for 1HP @ 240V.

Old 04-27-09, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hmmm..no electrician...but it seems like I'm reading this differently..

n1ml...do you want to put in a switch to be able to bypass the timer and be able to manually turn on/turn off the pump? Or do you want to be able to completely disconnect power to the pump for maintenance purposes?

Old 04-27-09, 11:27 AM
I should have put in the whole story, sorry. From the main panel, there is a double pole 20 A breaker. This feeds a manual double pole pull out disconnect switch. The disconnect switch feeds the double pole electromechanical timer. I want to put the switch after the timer and before the pump. I do not like opening the timer box to flick the lever to turn off the pump if I need to clean the filter.
Mark

Old 04-27-09, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ok, gotcha..and a switch instead of pulling the disco, so that the timer doesn't lose the correct time.

As long as you don't use it to do any electrical work at the pump, then yeah, all you need to do is break one leg.

I just wanted to clarify, I kinda thought I was overthinking your question...but...better safe than sorry ..

Old 04-27-09, 11:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could just put another unfused disconnect switch on the load side of the timer before the pump.

Old 04-27-09, 11:54 AM
I think I'll do the weatherproof double pole switch to make it totally disconnected from the panel.
Thanks for all the responses

Old 04-27-09, 01:21 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Based on the full description either a single pole or double pole would be acceptable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: