Rewiring Vintage 3-Way Lamp

Old 05-02-09, 10:31 PM
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Lightbulb Rewiring Vintage 3-Way Lamp

I rescued another relic from the depths of the garbage man. Anyway I never seen this configuration in a lamp before so that's why I need the help. The configuration is (I take the socket was replaced with a normal 3-way socket because they are easier to find) a socket with no switch and the switch is on the base of the lamp, The switch has 3 wires coming out of it (black, blue, red) and there are 3 wires going up the lamp stem (Red, White, Black) So what type of socket do I need? I want to restore the lamp back to it original beauty First cleaning, Polishing and then rewiring. I know I could take the easy way out and just put a normal socket in it but I rather restore it to its original function

Old 05-03-09, 11:46 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The lamp originally had a 3-way socket without a built-in switch and the 3-way switch was in the base of the lamp, right?

If so, is this what you want - a "keyless" 3-way socket? The company below turned up in a Google search. If the link doesn't work - it's Savta Lighting (mylampparts.com) - SOCKETS - BRASS SHELL SOCKETS - KEYLESS SOCKETS - 3-TERMINAL KEYLESS SOCKETS - Keyless 3-Terminal - L.S.S.- Brass (only product in list). You can probably find other vendors.

Brass Keyless 3-way Socket

Keyless 3-Terminal - Less Set Screw - Solid Brass Shell Sockets Electolier - Edison (Standard) - Sequence of Operation: Low-Medium-High-Off - For 2-Circuit (3 - way) Lamp. Must be controlled by separate switch. Sequence of operation determined by method of wiring the circuit control switch. Terminal screws are color-coded nickel to screw shell, brass to center contact, black to ring contact.
They also have 2-circuit (3-way) rotary and push-button switches in case the one in the lamp doesn't work.

How are the black-blue-red switch wires, lamp cord, and red-white-black wires going up the stem connected together? I would think once wired correctly, you would want white to go between the nickel screw of the socket and the neutral of the lamp cord. The black, red and cord hot connection to black-red-blue may require experimentation if the switch is not already connected (SWAG: blue to cord hot, black to black, red to red; stem black to black socket screw, red to brass screw).

Old 05-03-09, 01:45 PM
Yes it originally had a socket with no switch and a 4 Position rotary switch in the base
I figured the switch out
Red L1 (Lower wattage Filiment)
Blue L2 (Higher Wattage Filiment)
Black hot from the lamp cord

And with my meter i figured out how the switch works

L1-L2-L1+L2-Off

Old 05-03-09, 08:30 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool! Sounds like you've got it figured out, then.

Good catch saving that from the landfill. Is it brass? We picked up a gorgeous old brass lamp from a flea market, and a shop here in Tulsa specializes in brass repair/cleaning/polishing and shellacking. It looks fantastic after polishing and a new coat of shellac.

Old 05-13-09, 01:29 PM
Yes the lamp is made of Brass and I found the right socket on "FleaBay" I just need a shade as the original one got wet and it also got moldy (I think it was rained on but I rescued it before any real damage was done to the brass)

Here are some pictures of the lamp and the bulb (3-Way CFL) I will be using with it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: