How to rough in for old work light

Old 05-07-09, 11:42 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to rough in for old work light

This sounds like an odd question, but it's the final thing on my todo list in prep for getting my basement project inspected.

I have two locations where I'm using recessed style lights. Each location has more than one light. I found lights that I like but they are old work style and I couldn't find anything at all similar in new construction style.

How can I prep the location for rough inspection and drywall?

Right now I just have cable run from the switch box to the light locations, and have dressed up the switch box. Can I just leave the light end unterminated and explain the scenario, or am I likely to fail inspection? I would then install the lights as I drywall.

I suppose the same goes for the locations of electrical baseboard heaters. I ran a heating circuit. Do I just leave those ends unterminated for rough inspection? I would then make small holes in the drywall and pull the cable through, installing the heaters at finish.

Thanks, looking to schedule the inspection any day now.

Old 05-07-09, 11:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
For rough in, most inspectors just want the wires to the locations hanging down. Be sure to have the cans on hand so he can see what you plan to do. Go ahead and pull your baseboard heat wire into the room so he can see it. Make sure you have them capped. I know there is no power to it, but guarantee it to the inspector....you can't. It is safer and he will see you mean business by doing it.

Old 05-08-09, 12:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chandler. I'll leave the cables unterminated and cap all wires. I do have all of the can lights on hand so that should hopefully help explain the situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: