Advice Wiring a Basement

Old 05-09-09, 03:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice Wiring a Basement

Hello, Looking for some assitance.

I live in the Chicagoland area. Local code requires Conduit. I have installed all the Conduit for receptacles, light switches, and lights.

I intended to put all the receptacles on 2 circuits 15amp ea. (10/circuit). I will be installing 3 way switches in some areas and single pole in other areas. I want to be able to use the same conduit to get power to the lights in the ceiling.

Question: Do I need to use a pigtail for the receptacles if I am going to daisy chain them all together? (For example -- connect to top screw and then connect bottom screw to the next device.

Question: If I am only running 2 wire (Blk and White) and I want to power another device -- such as a ceiling light, do I run a 3rd wire (hot) to the ceiling light? Can I use the same negitive wire from the receptacles and pull it to the ceiling light or do I need to run another negitive wire to the ceiling light? If I need to run another hot line to the ceiling light, what color does it have to be? Can I use yellow or orange?

Thank you for your help?
--jeff

Old 05-09-09, 03:41 PM
J
What is a negative wire??? There is no such thing in AC. 3 way switches require 3 wires, 2 travelers and a common. Neutrals(what you may be calling negative-white), can be common in the same circuit, but you cannot use the neutral from other circuits. There are ways to share circuits, but judging from your question we do not need to get into that.

Green is ALWAYS ground, black, red are almost always hot, white is almost always neutral(can be hot in a switch loop, but needs to be identified/marked).

Chicago has what I would term, extremely rigid code enforcement. Are you even allowed to do your own electrical work???

Old 05-09-09, 03:51 PM
J
Sorry about the terminology. Chicago does have strict codes. Home owners are allowed to do their own work as long as 1) permit is pulled 2) meets code. So I am trying to follow the code.

I know I need to pull Black and White wire. White is connected to the silver screw and black is connected to the brass screw. I guess my question is: What color does the traveler wire have to be? If I pull a traveler wire, do I pull only a black wire with it?

Old 05-09-09, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Your traveller can be any color but gray, green or white (without markings), but is usually red. If you are referring to a three way switch and black to brass and white to silver, 3 way switches have two brass and one black (andonized). Your line or load goes to the andonized screw and your travelers go to the other two screws, it don't matter which one.

Old 05-09-09, 04:20 PM
J
Chandler, You asked if I was referring to a 3 ways switch. I was not. I need to run wire for the receptacles, light switches (single pole and 3 way), and ceiling lights.

I assume I run white and black for the receptacles. Then I want to wire the ceiling lights coming out of the same conduit using a 2 gang box with a second 1/2" conduit traveling up towards the ceiling light where the line will not travel any farther than the fixture. What color wires do I pull in the same conduit (white and black)? This light will be controlled for a single pole.

How do I wire for a 3 way switch? How many wires do I pull to each switch?

Thank you for your help.

Old 05-10-09, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
Yes, you could still use white and black for the lighting.

You normally need 3 conductors between your 3 way switches, 2 travelers and the neutral. This could vary depending on which 3 way wiring method you are using. There are a variety of ways to wire a 3 way setup. I prefer power in to first 3 way using 2 conductors, 3 wires between the 3 ways and then 2 conductors out to the fixtures from the second 3 way. No grounding wires are in the above descriptions.

To do this in conduit use white and black into first switch with the black to the black or common terminal. White will splice to a white going to the next switch box. Run 2 red travelers connected to the other terminals on the switch. Make the same connections at the far end. At the second 3 way run black from the odd colored screw to the fixture black. Run a white to the fixture and splice the switch end to the white between the switches.

You may want to look at the book 'Wiring Simplified' to visualize your options.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: