Refresh feeble brain on GEC

Old 05-11-09, 09:57 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refresh feeble brain on GEC

Hi all:

My feeble brain needs a little refresher on the GEC.
(Can't seem to be able to get to the readable NEC on NFPA,org anymore!!!)

Situation: Northern CA, 2007 NEC, 200A service panel ...

Can't remember the proper wire size for the GEC (service panel to the cold waste pipe (#6, or #4).

If I recall correctly, the run must be made without ANY breaks or splices (unless exothermic weld).

Please confirm wire size and whether splices are allowed.
I have a 100 foot run to the nearest water pipe from the njew service panel.

Is it illegal to leave the old ground connection from the water pipe to ground rod forrmerly used by old service panel (in a different location than the new one)

Thanks for the help in the past from frenchy, ipbooks, and others. Remodel is now up and running, but still have a few details before the final.

Keep up the good advice guys.

CHeers,
s/Mike

Old 05-11-09, 12:25 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by billybard2
Can't remember the proper wire size for the GEC (service panel to the cold waste pipe (#6, or #4).
Use #4 copper to the primary grounding electrode (water main); use #6 copper to the secondary grounding electrode (rods).

If I recall correctly, the run must be made without ANY breaks or splices (unless exothermic weld).
Correct -- you can weld it or use an "irreversible crimp" which you might be able to borrow or rent a big crimp tool from the supply house if a splice is needed.

Is it illegal to leave the old ground connection from the water pipe to ground rod forrmerly used by old service panel (in a different location than the new one)
I don't think it's illegal, but it is best to have only a single point ground. This helps with signal quality on TV, stereos, etc and reduces the chance of lighting damage.

Old 05-11-09, 10:51 PM
B
Thanks, IBP, for the reply.

Kinda strange that when the new service panel was installed, the inspector was only concerned about the ground rods and the UFER--and didn't question that I hadn't yet run the CU to the cold water pipe.

Running the GEC is the last bit of electrical work before the final, bit separating the neutrals and grounds on my old Zinsco subpanel in the house was NOT a fun task!

Thanks again to all of the guys who supply all the good advice on this forum.

CHeers,
s/Mike

Old 05-12-09, 08:17 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
In some jurisdictions a secondary grounding method is not required when using a Ufer ground; perhaps that is why the inspector didn't mention it. You might want to ask about it before buying 100' of #4. If he allows just the Ufer, you would only need to bond the interior copper with #6 at a convenient location, not necessarily within 5' of enter the home.

Old 05-12-09, 08:57 AM
P
I don't think it's illegal, but it is best to have only a single point ground. This helps with signal quality on TV, stereos, etc and reduces the chance of lighting damage.[/QUOTE]

Art 250.53 (D) 2 , Supplemental Electrode Required reads ----

"A metal underground water pipe shall be supplemented by an addition ( Grounding ) electrode ---.

If there is a seperate Ground-rod for a cable service , that rod should be connected also to the Grounding Electrode Conductor , or to a Service Ground rod , via a "Bonding jumper."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: