Power Out - Flipping Breaker Doesn't Help

Old 05-11-09, 04:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power Out - Flipping Breaker Doesn't Help

Hi all... I'm new here... my name is jim... and I'm an idiot.

Here's what happened...

I had two identical fans in two of my bathrooms, but one of them didn't work. I determined that the fan motor was broken in one, but the wiring was fine. I removed the fan mechanism from the working fan and placed it in the non-working fan. Non-working fan now works fine.

Then I purchased a fan/light combo to replace the now empty (and formerly working) fan. I shut off the breaker, and removed the fan. Turned the breaker back on (it controls the outlet as well as the fan), and used my saw to widen the hole in the ceiling. Turned the breaker back off.

The fan/light had two sets of positive/neutral wires - one for the light and one for the fan. I intended for both to come on at the same time, so I twisted the two pairs together. I then connected the ground wire from the fan to the main wires.

Turned the breaker back on b/c I needed a little more space with the saw - everything still worked. Turned the breaker off.

Attached the positive and neutral wires to the main wire with the included electrical nuts; turned the breaker back on - tested the fan - nothing. Tested the saw - nothing.

Turned the breaker off, detached the fan, turned the breaker on, tested the saw - nothing.

Turned the breaker off over night... turned it back on this afternoon and tried the saw - still nothing.

Turned off the main breaker to the house for 60 seconds, flipped it back on, then flipped the individual breaker - still nothing.

Any advice on what I can try next would be just super super appreciated... Thank you

Old 05-11-09, 04:26 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Attached the positive and neutral wires to the main wire with the included electrical nuts; turned the breaker back on - tested the fan - nothing. Tested the saw - nothing.
Have you looked for a GFCI receptacle? It could be anywhere. Another bathroom, outside, basement, garage, even the kitchen. It could be forgotten one behind something that hasn't been moved for years. If it isn't a GFCI you will need to open up the switch box.

Old 05-11-09, 04:35 PM
S
ah, ok... so there is one in the upstairs bathroom, and the Test switched is pushed in. Pushing reset doesn't do anything, and this outlet also does not work.

I also forgot to mention that, when I removed the screws it looked like the neutral from the fan might have wrapped around the insulation instead of actually making contact with the wire.

And this is a relatively newly constructed house - 2004.

I'm going to go see what I can do about the outlet upstairs.

Thank you for the direction. Having absolutely no idea where to go next is the worst...

Old 05-11-09, 04:42 PM
S
yes! Thank you

Like I said... idiot.

Learn something new every day tho.
I suppose I was only ever trying to Reset the GFCI when I had the breaker turned off, so it didn't work... now I know.

Going to give this fan thing one more shot.

Thank you again for the input - I really appreciate it. Easy solution to a dumb problem, but I would have sat here with everything "broken" for weeks...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: