2 speed Whole house fan switch wiring and timer

Old 05-12-09, 06:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 speed Whole house fan switch wiring and timer

Hello, I installed a 2 speed whole house fan. There is 12-3 running to the switchbox and is wired as shown on page 6 of the manual in the link below:

http://www.trianglefans.com/pdf/Owne...l%20manual.pdf

The switch that came with it has 3 leads. One for hot, one for low speed and one for high speed. I would like to add a countdown timer into the same switchbox next to the 2 speed switch. I'm drawing a blank on how to hook everything up.

For the 12-3 coming into the switch box, the high speed and low speed wires from the switch go to the fan and the hot is connected the hot conductor from the circuit breaker.

The countdown timer is Intermatic and has black (hot), white (supposed to connect to neutral), red (supposed to connect to the load), and ground.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-09, 06:47 PM
B
You would need to run an additional neutral wire to the switch box so the timer would have a neutral connection.

Then you could parallel connect the connections for hot (L1) and low speed to the timer, black and red timer wires respectively.

Then you could turn on the low speed with the switch or the timer.

Old 05-13-09, 07:17 AM
D
Thanks for the reply. I feel like the white wire of the timer is throwing me off, because I see the current flowing from the hot coming into the switch box into the timer on the timer black wire, out of the timer on the timer red wire, into the 2 speed switch hot terminal, out of the 2 speed switch on either the high or low speed wire, into the motor on the high or low speed motor terminals, out of the motor on the motor common terminal, and then back to the circuit breaker on the neutral wire.

So I guess my question is, does the white wire on the timer serve any purpose? I wonder if it would work if the neutral wire on the timer were left capped? It's not a huge problem to run another wire to the switch, but just wondering if it is necessary?

Thanks again!

Old 05-13-09, 07:31 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Post Deleted.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-13-09 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 08:09 AM
P
Connect the Black lead of the timer to the Black wire of the "Feed-In " pair which supplies the 120 volt power , and the Red lead from the timer to the "L1" lead of the 2-speed control switch.

Old 05-13-09, 08:51 AM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
PATTBAA nailed it. You do not need a neutral, if you are using a simple spring-wound countdown timer. In effect, the timer is upstream of the common on the two speed switch. This is the exact same switching configuration I Installed on my attic fan ten years ago, and it works great.
Andy

Old 05-13-09, 09:32 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm a bit confused. Can you tell us exactly what timer you have? While many timers do not in fact need a neutral, yours does seem to have a neutral connection so I must assume it needs it. Please give us the exact model of the timer.

Like Andrew, I installed my attic fan with one of those simple spring-wound "turn past" timers in series with the two-speed switch that came with the fan. And also like Andrew, it has worked great for years. Those timers don't need a neutral, but I am suspect that you have some other kind of timer.

Old 05-13-09, 01:05 PM
D
Thanks everyone. Here is a link to the model timer:

INTERMATIC E1220W ELECTRONIC AUTO-OFF TIMER 15 Amp - WHITE

Old 05-14-09, 06:36 AM
D
I think I'll try and experiment. I have a large spool of #12 AWG. I think I will wire it up the way PATBAA suggested, and then I'll connect the timer neutral to the panel neutral bar and see if any current flows on the neutral (temporary test setup). If no current flow, then I think I will cap it off and not use that wire. I just don't see what use the neutral has...possibly it provides a reference for voltage?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: