Wiring Switch to Outlet

Old 05-13-09, 04:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Switch to Outlet

I'm replacing a switch and an outlet that are (or were) wired together. I thought I wired each exactly as they were before I removed the old ones, but I must've missed something. Here's what I have.

The switch has three wires, black, red and ground (not including the wires that I didn't touch that are connected to each other).

The outlet has 6 wires, two black, two white, a red, and the ground (also not including the ones wired to each other that I didn't touch).

What goes where?

Old 05-13-09, 04:44 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Did you break the tab on the brass side? Look at the receptacle you removed.

Old 05-13-09, 04:59 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I threw away the old one, so I'm not sure if it was there or not, but I forgot to remove it from the new one at first, then I removed it and it didn't work either, so it must be the wiring.

Old 05-13-09, 06:34 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Tell us all the wires in the receptacle box including the ones you didn't touch. Tell us exactly how you wired the receptacle. Were any wires not used? Tell us all wires in the switch box.

A problem with your description you are saying there were five wires connected to the receptacle (not counting ground). There are only four connectors on the receptacle. Did you have some wires back stabbed and some on screws or multiple wires under screws?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: