Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

CAN'T GET POWER! Is the breaker bad or bad wiring somewhere?

Old 05-14-09, 02:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

All I have is a an outlet tester. I reset the main breaker and got no fix. I reset each breaker individually and got a fix for about an hour.

Now I turn off the breaker and get NO lights on my tester. I turn it on and get bright lights on the tester but NO POWER? I tested the breaker with the tester and it seems okay.

ANY IDEAS?

it's a 1985 townhome

Old 05-14-09, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forums! We're gonna need alot more information than you threw out. What happened after the one hour reprieve? Did the breaker trip? Have you plugged in a lamp to the receptacle to see if it lights up? Have you thought of retiring your plug tester and buying a new one?

Old 05-14-09, 02:43 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Additionally where in the home is the receptacle was what was happening around the time that it stopped functioning?

Old 05-14-09, 03:16 PM
M
Thanks for the replies.

After the one hour the breaker DID NOT trip. The light just stopped working. It was then that I checked the outlets which were also not working when I plugged anything into them. Although the tester may not be the best tool for the job it works fine.

I tried a breaker reset again and it did NOT work. I'm 99% sure I had the right breaker. BUT, reset ALL of them just in case.

The light and outlets are in an upstairs bedroom. The bedroom has 2 breakers associated with it.

Still no worky.

Old 05-14-09, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Are you getting two orange lights when you plug it into the receptacle? Are you using the same lamp to test all the receptacles? Have you changed the bulb in the lamp? Have you checked the plug and wiring on the lamp?
Just a few more questions in order to drill down to the problem.

Old 05-15-09, 12:22 PM
P
All I have is a an outlet tester.

I tested the breaker with the tester -----

How did you test-for-voltage at the breaker terminals using the "outlet " (read "receptacle") tester?

Because the immediate problem seems to be 120 volts at the receptacles , plug table lamps into the non-working receptacles ; you'r not concerned at this juncture with a "reversed' Live / Ground condition , so you don't need the OT .

You first need to make a definite test-for-voltage at each breaker terminal , which requires a multi-tester that reads 120+ AC volts.

Was in Radio Shack this AM , and they stock an needle-type multi-tester for $26 .For a DYI ,it's more practical that a digital meter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: