Hooking up squirrel cage fan to power cord

Old 05-16-09, 06:14 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hooking up squirrel cage fan to power cord

Hello,

I have no electrical background, which is why I'd be asking a friend with an electric background to do this job for me, but I'm wondering if this is possible. I am looking into buying a Dayton squirrel cage fan found here yet it has no power cord... just the three wire assembly for wiring. I'm looking to wire it up to a power cord. Is this the kind of power cord I am looking for? The fan has a full AMP load of 0.77, and the wire is 10 AMPs. I take it that'd suffice, or do the decimals move on me?

I know there are squirrel cage fans out there with a power cord already attached but none of them provide the specs I am looking for.

Thanks for bearing with my stupidity in this!

Old 05-16-09, 06:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!
While you are on the Grainger site, why not just order the cord listed just below the fan? May save on shipping costs.
Just out of curiosity, what will be your use for this fan? It won't sit still once you power it up due to the torque, so if you plan on using it for air extraction, you will need to mount it to a frame, either metal or wood, and cover the exhaust with hardware cloth to prevent something from being inserted into the fan blades.
I have one in my shop that I use in the summer. It moves air rather well.
You may be able to find one cheaper by checking with a local air conditioning place. They often remove air handlers and just scrap them. You may be able to pick one up cheaper. Just an idea.

Old 05-16-09, 09:11 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

It will be mounted to a wooden frame. And yes, a mesh will be installed where the cage opening is.

Regarding the wire on the site... y'know... I never saw that for the past week I've been looking around. Sheesh... I need to slow down and actually look at things. Thanks for saving the troubles.

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: