Electrical Panel Mapping

Old 05-26-09, 03:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical Panel Mapping

Hello, I just went through mapping out my circuits and I wanted some input. House was built in 1991 and has a 100 AMP Westinghouse panel. I have two concerns, first, the refrigerator is NOT on a dedicated circuit, is this OK? Secondly, the family room and play room were all wired with 14gauge romex by a previous owner, yet both piggyback breakers are 20 AMP. I need to swap these for 15 AMP correct? Here is a list of my map:

1. WASHER 20 AMP—Washer outlet only
2. JETTED TUB 20 AMP GFI—Tub only
3. KITCHEN 20 AMP—GFCI outlet + 2 counter and 1 deck outlet downstream
4. DISH/ GARB DISP 20 AMP—Dishwasher and garbage disposal
5. KITCH/LIV ROOM 15 AMP—Microwave, kitchen light, dining light, living room light, living room receptacles (6), deck exterior light
6. MAS BED/N FRNT BED 15 AMP—Master bedroom fan/light, master bedroom closet light, TV receptacle, MBR N receptacles (2), S FRNT BED N receptacle, N FRNT BED light & receptacles (4) and attic light.
7. DRYER 30 AMP
8. DRYER 30 AMP
9. FAM ROOM 20 AMP PIGGYBACK—Family room light & Receptacles except E Wall and alarm panel
10. PLAY ROOM 20 AMP PIGGYBACK—Play room East receptacles, basement bath receptacle
11. FURNACE 15 AMP
12. ATTIC FAN 15 AMP—prewired, not used
13. BATH 2 15 AMP—Laundry room receptacle (modem, router etc.), garage receptacle, Hall Bath GFI, master bath GFI
14. GARAGE 15 AMP—Playroom light, basement bath light, playroom West receptacle, Family room East receptacle, Laundry room light, garage lights, garage openers, exterior lights
15. BATH 1 15AMP—South front bedroom light & receptacles (except N wall), Hall bath light & fan, hall light, foyer light
16. DINING ROOM 20 AMP—Dining room receptacles (4), 1 kitchen receptacle (next to fridge) and refrigerator
17. A/C 30 AMP
18. A/C 30 AMP
19. RANGE 40 AMP
20. RANGE 40 AMP

Here is a picture for reference:

Let me know what I should do to make things safer. Thanks!

Old 05-26-09, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by kcxj
Hello, I just went through mapping out my circuits and I wanted some input. House was built in 1991 and has a 100 AMP Westinghouse panel. I have two concerns, first, the refrigerator is NOT on a dedicated circuit, is this OK? Yes, this is OK code-wise.

Secondly, the family room and play room were all wired with 14gauge romex by a previous owner, yet both piggyback breakers are 20 AMP. I need to swap these for 15 AMP correct? Yes, the 14 gauge wire needs to be protected by a 15 amp breaker.

Here is a list of my map:

1. WASHER 20 AMP—Washer outlet only OK
2. JETTED TUB 20 AMP GFI—Tub only OK
3. KITCHEN 20 AMP—GFCI outlet + 2 counter and 1 deck outlet downstream Deck should not be on this circuit
4. DISH/ GARB DISP 20 AMP—Dishwasher and garbage disposal Should be fine
5. KITCH/LIV ROOM 15 AMP—Microwave, kitchen light, dining light, living room light, living room receptacles (6), deck exterior light. Microwave might need its own circuit
6. MAS BED/N FRNT BED 15 AMP—Master bedroom fan/light, master bedroom closet light, TV receptacle, MBR N receptacles (2), S FRNT BED N receptacle, N FRNT BED light & receptacles (4) and attic light.
7. DRYER 30 AMP OK
8. DRYER 30 AMP OK
9. FAM ROOM 20 AMP PIGGYBACK—Family room light & Receptacles except E Wall and alarm panel
10. PLAY ROOM 20 AMP PIGGYBACK—Play room East receptacles, basement bath receptacle
11. FURNACE 15 AMP OK
12. ATTIC FAN 15 AMP—prewired, not used
13. BATH 2 15 AMP—Laundry room receptacle (modem, router etc.), garage receptacle, Hall Bath GFI, master bath GFI Should have been a 20 amp circuit for bath receptacles only
14. GARAGE 15 AMP—Playroom light, basement bath light, playroom West receptacle, Family room East receptacle, Laundry room light, garage lights, garage openers, exterior lights
15. BATH 1 15AMP—South front bedroom light & receptacles (except N wall), Hall bath light & fan, hall light, foyer light
16. DINING ROOM 20 AMP—Dining room receptacles (4), 1 kitchen receptacle (next to fridge) and refrigerator OK
17. A/C 30 AMP OK
18. A/C 30 AMP OK
19. RANGE 40 AMP OK
20. RANGE 40 AMP OK

Here is a picture for reference:

Let me know what I should do to make things safer. Thanks!
Laundry should have had a 20 amp circuit, no loads outside of laundry.

Old 05-26-09, 06:27 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. 1000 times better than a lot of people who read this forum (and who's houses were wired in the 50's through 80's)

pcboss points out a few code issues, but none significant (in my opinion) if you're not tripping breakers. If you renovate any of the rooms listed, you'll probably want to bring them up to code.

The one that needs to be addressed immediately is the 14ga wire on a 20A breaker. As you suspected, this needs to be moved to a 15A breaker asap.

Also, just to confirm, none of the single circuits should be connected via a red wire (indicating a multi-wire branch circuit (MWBC)). The 20A tandem/piggyback breaker made me wonder...
The 240v appliances (dryer, ac, range) likely use a red wire which is fine.

Old 05-26-09, 06:47 PM
B
As to the refrigerator, in some older homes the kitchen is on the same circuit as the living room or others. You turn on the stereo with the refrigerator running and the breaker trips!

Then that is something you would want to fix right away, as it is a daily pain!

But if you are not having problems, then not to worry for now. If you remodel the kitchen in the future or are doing electrical work anyway, then might want to move the refrigerator to its own breaker at that time.

For kitchens it is a good idea to put power hogs like the refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave, etc. on their own breakers. Then have two or more counter-top 20 amp outlets on their own circuits. This is because anything which heats is a power hog. Like deep fryer, hot plate, electric griddle, waffle iron, etc. Run a few of these on the same circuit and the breaker trips.

Then depends on how you use your kitchen. If you live alone and microwave everything, then you would not be using much power all at the same time.

But if you have big family get togethers and have 3 people cooking up a feast, and lots of things running at the same time, then you would want things on separate circuits so everything could be on at the same time without tripping a breaker.

Old 05-27-09, 08:36 AM
P
I suggest you determine if your number ID co-incides with the circuit numbers that appear on the panel cover. If the breakers in the panel are aranged in two Left / Right columns, the "standard" numbering of panels in Odd-#'s in the Left column , and Even-#'s in the Right column This would appear , top-to-bottom as ---

1 2
3 4
5 6

17 18
19 20

A two-pole CB in the Left column could be 1-3 , 3-5 , etc. A two-pole CB in the Right column could be 8-10 , 10-12 , etc.

You are very astute by establishing such as accurate table of the circuit-connections at the Service.

Old 05-27-09, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all of the replys guys. Here is an update:

I purchased a 15 amp tandem to replace the 20 amp, need to install tomorrow.

I have never had any breakers trip, so I think I am ok for now. My kitchen is above the panel, so I may add two dedicated circuits for the microware and refrigerator in the future. I will need to upgrade the panel, because I only have one unused, unless I steal the attic fan circuit. I also have two smokes on the panel that I have since added to my list. I plan to add to the loop with a smoke in each bedroom.

@PATTBAA, panel was not numbered so I just made my list top to bottom on left side, then top to bottom on right side.

Thanks alot guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: