Running Power to a Detached Garage

Old 05-17-09, 11:44 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Running Power to a Detached Garage

I am very new to electrical work in general so please bare with me. I recently moved into my grandmother's house to help take care of her; and in the backyard there is a decent sized garage with no power.

The main panel box is around 50-60 feet away from the garage area where power is desired. There is plenty enough room for extra circuits to be run to the garage. Although, I only need one circuit run from the panel to the garage because I only plan on wiring lights for the area which is mainly for storage anyway.

What I am wondering is... What size wire should I use? What breaker size will do? How deep should the ditch be dug? What size and type conduit should I use to run the wire?

And if I decide to have a receptacle or two, the Code says it must be a GFCI, correct?

Thank yall!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-09, 12:45 AM
If it's just for lights you can use a relatively small breaker, but make shure it has an rcd. You have two options with cable, you either burry a very deep trench, or you buy armoured cable, and run it at any hight you want.

Old 05-18-09, 01:10 AM
F
Originally Posted by 07bloomfieldb View Post
If it's just for lights you can use a relatively small breaker, but make shure it has an rcd. You have two options with cable, you either burry a very deep trench, or you buy armoured cable, and run it at any hight you want.

Hello Mate.,, the OP is in Texas USA so the code is somehow diffrent than the UK code requirement so let me run the USA code requirement to this OP { yeah I am famiur with your stuff Beer 4U2 and I am well verised with USA and French system }

Now for the OP .,

You can run 12-2 {4.0mmX2} with ground by using UF { underground feeder but with UF cable you have to bury them 12 inch { 30 CM } if you have GFCI breaker if not it have to go deeper 18 or 24{.45M or .6 M } inches depending on the local code requirement and have a GFCI recpetale.

Or run with PVC conduct { .5 inch (13MM) } underground @18 inch and run with 12 GA {4.0MM}THHN/THWN conductors to the GFCI recpetale with 20 amp breaker.

{ Really for myself I will just run with one inch conduct and be done with it due in the future you may want to increase the size however with detached garage you only can have one circuit running there.}

Merci,Marc

Old 05-18-09, 10:42 AM
J
If you run it through a GFCI receptacle in the house before going outside, you can avoid the cost of a GFCI breaker and still direct-bury the UF-B cable 12 inches down. Protect the cable though the wall and down the the bottom of the trench with PVC conduit.

A 20-amp circuit on 12/2 will be fine for lighting and hand tools run one at a time. If you're thinking of anything else, such as a refrigerator or TV or heater or air conditioner, you'll need a different plan.