Bathroom Fan Not Turning

Old 05-18-09, 12:39 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Fan Not Turning

I looked everywhere and thought this would be the best forum to ask this. Out bathroom fan is not turning anymore. When the switch is flipped to on, I can hear humming, not sure if this is the motor or not. I took off the grill and only saw the motor. Do I have to take the entire housing out of the ceiling to check the fan? I am hoping the fan just needs greasing.

Model is a Broan 2100u. Here is a PDF of this unit:

http://www.broan.ca/PDF/Specifications/S50Ud020711.pdf

I can take the screws off the motor but given how it's constructed, I am not sure I can easily remove the motor without removing the entire unit.

Any help on how to test if it's the motor or the fan?

Old 05-18-09, 01:15 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Usually the motor can be easily removed for replacement. It sounds like the motor is seized based on your description. Once you remove the motor mounting, it will generally just be plugged into a socket in the fan housing making for an easy disconnection.

Old 05-18-09, 01:37 PM
M
I was able to dig this up.

http://www.kitchensource.com/bathroo...ue_install.pdf

Unfortunately, when I was able to bring the fan motor out of the ceiling, I do not see an impeller. Did the installer rip us off during the original install? All I see if a motor with a turning at the top. There is no impeller / fan blades anywhere.

From that diagram, it looks like the motor should turn something. But we do not have that something in our unit!

Old 05-18-09, 01:42 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
The fan cannot move any air without an impeller, squirrel cage, blade, etc -- if yours does not have one, then it never would have worked! I suppose it's possible it was never installed. You could probably contact the manufacturer to order one with the new motor.

Old 05-18-09, 02:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Wonder if it even vented outside?

Old 05-18-09, 04:05 PM
M
No wonder this bathroom fan was never very effective. When I flip the switch, the motor hums. Does that mean it's dead? Or just that no impeller is in there so it does not work properly? It did however used to make a loud wind noise before. I assume the motor is seized?

Old 05-18-09, 04:59 PM
R
I beleive you can go to Lowes, Homedepot or a store of this type and buy just the fan with the impeller for your model. If it didn't have a impeller on it your bearings are bad. The price on the repairment isn't bad. I would go this way and you know everything will be working correct. Good luck and make sure you shut off the power before working on any device.

Jim

Old 05-18-09, 06:28 PM
M
Originally Posted by rukkus11 View Post
If it didn't have a impeller on it your bearings are bad.
Can you elaborate on that statement. Did you mean if there was no impeller, the unit would die sooner due to imbalance?

Old 05-18-09, 07:00 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually it's bad for the motor to run with no load, so it is probably seized up or will fail soon after you install the squirrel cage anyway. I think the last Broan replacement I installed was in-stock at Home Depot for like $15, so it shouldn't be a huge repair.

Old 05-19-09, 12:34 AM
M
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Actually it's bad for the motor to run with no load, so it is probably seized up or will fail soon after you install the squirrel cage anyway.
Can you elaborate on this? Not sure I understand it.

Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
I think the last Broan replacement I installed was in-stock at Home Depot for like $15, so it shouldn't be a huge repair.
All the fan motors I have seen online for our unit is $100+. Some places are are close to $200.

Old 05-19-09, 08:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Post deleted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: