Wiring a subpanel for pool building

Old 05-20-09, 03:34 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a subpanel for pool building

I am going to be putting in an inground pool 16X32 and am looking at the electrical requirements. The plan is to put in a subpanel at the pool from my 200 amp main service in the house. The run will be approx 130 ft

Some questions:

1. Can I put put in one 40 amp GFCI breaker in the main panel (for my feed to the sub panel) that will protect everything in the sub panel (pump, pool light, recept, and building lights)

2. Was planning on using 8-3 NMWU to the sub panel.

3. Can I use a 60amp sub panel for this.....pump wired at 220 using 2pole 15 amp breakers and one 15 amp for the pool light and one 15 amp for the recepts and lights?

Thanks for your help

Jeff

Old 05-20-09, 05:12 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It's best to give your location. Code can vary with location. "NMWU" suggests Canadian. Cable would not be acceptable in the US because you can't use a bare ground for pools but if you are in Canada one of the posters familiar with CEC will have to comment.

Old 05-20-09, 08:40 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadajeff View Post
Can I put put in one 40 amp GFCI breaker in the main panel (for my feed to the sub panel) that will protect everything in the sub panel (pump, pool light, recept, and building lights)
Yes you can, but it increases the chance of having false trips based on the distance and the variety of loads powered by the breaker.

Was planning on using 8-3 NMWU to the sub panel.
That would not be acceptable based on U.S. code. I don't know for sure if CEC is exactly the same on that point, but usually the two codes are very close.

You would need to use PVC conduit with THWN conductors pulled in. The ground must be green insulated copper. Burial depth is 18" to the top of the pipe. A 40A feeder would require #8 copper for the hots and neutral (black,black,white) and #10 for the ground (green).

Can I use a 60amp sub panel for this
Yes. Your panel will also need grounding electrode(s) installed, usually two copper clad 8' rods are acceptable. The pool will need an equipotential bonding grid of solid #8 copper wire which picks up any metal around the pool deck including the pool shell, handrails, rebar, etc and also the pump, heater and similar equipment.

The pool light (a.k.a. wet niche or dry niche) has numerous, very specific requirements which we can cover later if necessary, but I thought it may be important to mention if you aren't already aware of what's involved there.

Old 05-20-09, 04:35 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1) can you give your providce location due the CEC have slightly diffrent type of codes.

2) The NMWU may be legit on some area.

3) I will get ahold of Cananda electrician to confirmed this matter.

The circital item is your location that may affect the regulatons there.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: