Kitchen wiring

Old 05-22-09, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen wiring

Due to termite issue, ripped out sheetrock to replace some studs, and taking advantage for a minor re-model to kitchen.

Currently, one circuit is dedicated to two above-the-countertop outlets and one in-cabinet outlet for over-the-range microwave.
Question #1: is this ok?

Also currently, the refrigerator outlet shares a circuit with one other over-the-countertop outlet and two other lower wall outlets.
Question #2: can I rewire this over-the-counter outlet to the other two, just so they are all on the same circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-09, 09:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryS View Post
Currently, one circuit is dedicated to two above-the-countertop outlets and one in-cabinet outlet for over-the-range microwave.
Question #1: is this ok?
Based on current code, the OTR microwave needs its own 20A dedicated circuit.

Also currently, the refrigerator outlet shares a circuit with one other over-the-countertop outlet and two other lower wall outlets.
Question #2: can I rewire this over-the-counter outlet to the other two, just so they are all on the same circuit?
The way it is is okay. The kitchen countertops require two 20A circuits to power the receptacles. It's good to break them up such that you can use a toaster and a coffee pot at the same time.

Old 05-22-09, 10:58 AM
I would suggest you place the fridge on its own 20a dedicated branch circuit since most refrigerator/freezers draw 11 amps or more, although its not *required* by code- the NEC sets a bare min. to comply with

Old 05-22-09, 08:18 PM
Although what you found doesn't meet today's code, you are not allowed to rewire it without bringing it up to today's code. So either leave it as is or make it meet all current kitchen codes.

Old 05-22-09, 09:36 PM
John Nelson did make a good point there is alot more than a simple rewiring in Kitchen area and pretty strict on codewise.

The spaceing of the wall receptales above the counter top I go 2/4 Ft { 600/1200mm} the 2/4 mean at the starting point of the countertop you have first recpetale 2 feet then 4 feet apart that is the max distance normally I go with 3 foot { 900mm} to look better that way.

My SOP is get the fride on it own circuit and unforetally some area the fridge must have GFCI on it.

two countertop circuit minuim { I useally go three or more depending on the arrangement }

The dishwasher and Garabge dispoal can use the same circuit or run in MWBC { this part you have to becarefull if your code require GFCI then run it seprated circuit (this is the best way to do it )}

Make sure you have plenty lights in kitchen area.

Merci,Marc

Old 05-23-09, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=ibpooks;1572124]Based on current code, the OTR microwave needs its own 20A dedicated circuit.

Thanks for your reply.
Aside from being on it's own 20 amp dedicated circuit, what is the correct way to bring power into the cabinet above the o-t-r microwave? By that i mean....the Romex is wired to a 20 amp outlet (normally mounted to a gang-box). Do I simply srew the outlet onto the back of the cabinet (then plug in the microwave cord)? OR?

Old 05-23-09, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
I use a surface mounted deep Wiremold box in the cabinet to mount the receptacle in. You may be able to cut in a old work box thru the cabinet back and drywall also.

For new work I just bring the cable into the back knockout. On old work I might just sleeve the cable thru the cabinet into the surface box.

Old 05-24-09, 03:52 AM
I usually run 12-2 to the upper cabinet area and poke it through the back of a 4 square, mount it to the inside of the cabinet, and install a mulberry cover and a SINGLE (not duplex) receptacle per code.