2 new outlets, each controlled by a switch - help!

Old 05-24-09, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 new outlets, each controlled by a switch - help!

I am installing a new electrical box outside to provide power to a new pond I am installing. I located the electrical line I am going to tap into and run underground through pvc conduit to the pond, so all set there. Now at the box next to the pond, I plan to install (2) 2 gang boxes, each one with a gfci duplex receptacle and switch to control that single outlet. So my question is how to exactly wire both of these boxes with the one electrical line coming to the pond from the house. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-09, 09:16 PM
It would be easier and better to put a GFCI receptacle in the house before the line goes outside. Then you would need no GFCI receptacles outside, and the underground wire would also be protected.

Would you know how to wire this if you had four separate boxes, one for each switch and one for each receptacle? If so, the connections are the same if they are in double-gang boxes.

Basically you run power to each switch, and then from the switch to the receptacle. So run power to one double-gang box and feed it through to the second. At each box, take the unswitched hot and pigtail it to one screw on the switch. Run a hot from the other switch screw to the hot connecton on the receptacle. Then pigtail the white wire to the neutral connection on the receptacle. All pretty straightforward.

Old 05-24-09, 09:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Bring the conduit in to one of the two boxes. Connect the second box with a nipple and support the second box as needed.. Connect two pigtails to the black, white and green. Run one set of pigtails to the second box through the nipple. Connect black in each one to the switch and run a black from the switch to the line side of the GFCI. Whites to the silver side of the GFCI. Use in use covers on the receptacles and water resistant switches. If metal boxes be sure to run a ground to the box. Ground wire must be insulated.

This is one of those cases where a GFCI breaker might be simpler and not cost that much more.

Old 05-25-09, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Thinking more about it, think I am actually going to put the two receptacles in one box and the two switches for those receptacles in the other box. This way everything is plugged into one side and then controlled by switches from the box mounted on the other side of the post. So with that in mind, am I correct in my thinking...

- Run line into first box where the 2 switches are located
- pig tail the black and connect to one terminal on each switch
- connect a 2nd black from the second terminal of each switch and run to brass connection of corresponding receptacle
- pig tail incoming white and run to each receptacle in second box

Thanks!!

Old 05-25-09, 09:00 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, that is correct. Be sure to ground the switches and if the box is metal a pigtail to it.

Old 06-02-09, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Yes, that is correct. Be sure to ground the switches and if the box is metal a pigtail to it.
Thanks. One last question - what makes the decision to install metal or plastic weatherproof boxes and covers. My pool electric is all done with plastic boxes and covers, but seeing a much larger selection of metal boxes/covers out there. So what dictates which you choose?

Thanks.