Outside lights with gfi

Old 05-28-09, 11:40 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside lights with gfi

Ok guys what i want to do is i want to run 2 halogen lights along a concrete wall in conduit. and from the last light at the end of the line i want to come down with a piece of conduit and put a gfi i am going to tap power from the garage my question is how can i make the gfi at the end of the line live all the time because the 2 halogen lights are going to be switched? I know i would be able to do it if i run 12-3 uf-b but really dont want too because it wont fit inside 1/2 emt and i already have everything i need in 1/2 inch do i have any options I am also going to put a gfi on side of garage before it goes outside but that i know i will be able to make live all the time any ideas?

Old 05-28-09, 11:53 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You just pull another different colored hot through the conduit in addition to your black, white and green; make one switched and one always on. Red is usually used for switched, black for always on.

If the lights and receptacle are on the same circuit, they may share the neutral and ground.

Old 05-28-09, 11:55 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
UFb really isn't intended for use in conduit so no real problem. Use the correct wire. Single conductor THWN. If you need to run wire to the wall you can run conduit all the way or transition from direct burial UF at the beginning of the conduit using a junction box.
know i would be able to do it if i run 12-3 uf-b but really dont want too because it wont fit inside 1/2 emt

Old 05-28-09, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Be sure to use compression fittings for the EMT. Set screw are not rated for outside. Also, if your run is entirely in conduit, from where it starts (panel or grounded metal j-box) all the way to the last metal box (weatherproof), you may use that for your ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: