Problem with Intermatic T104R

Old 05-28-09, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with Intermatic T104R

Installed T104R mechanical timer for my pool pump. Seems like the clock isn't working (time never changes so pump never trips on) but the manual override turns the pump on and off. Wires are connected according to diagram. Can the timer be defective, or could I have done something wrong? Runs on 220, so 2 hot leads to the line lugs and 2 leads from the pump to the load lugs. Clock leads are pre-connected to the line lugs.

Strange thing is this morning the clock actually tripped off after being on several hours overnight. clock time was still way off (read midnight when it was 7:30AM.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-09, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by daronson View Post
Can the timer be defective, or could I have done something wrong?
Could be either. Many Intermatic timers can operate on multiple voltages which usually requires setting a DIP switch or jumper. Is that set up correctly or did the timer come pre-set for 240V?

It could also be a mechanical problem in the clock like a stripped gear or gunk stuck in the mechanism. If it's just sticking, maybe some 3-in-1 oil would help although Intermatic is usually very reliable equipment.

Old 05-29-09, 05:38 AM
Timer specifications are 208-277V. I don't believe there is a DIP switch.

Gears are all greased up, so I will check and see if this could be "gunking" up the mechanism and causing it to fail. Is there any way to check and see if the gears move freely? Seems like they will only move with the motor, which isn't moving.

If I can't resolve the problem, my next step is to exchange it for a new one.

Old 05-29-09, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
If I can't resolve the problem, my next step is to exchange it for a new one.
I agree..........................

Old 05-29-09, 09:45 AM
Old 05-29-09, 04:32 PM
Well, problem solved...

I sort of remember my father in law (Retired electrical engineer) telling me to hook up the pump to the line and the feed to the load, but he said that's the way it goes. After the fact when I questioned it, he said the pump wouldn't run if we hooked it up backwards.

Before messing with the gears I called intermatic, and the tech said it would work if hooked up backwards, and now it makes sense. The clock motor was hooked up to the pump, not the feed. So, when I manually tripped on the pump, the clock motor started working. When the clock reached the "off" pin it switched the pump off, and also the clock timer off.

So 5 minutes of wire switching solved the problem, never thought I'd be so happy to see a stupid pump cycle on and off!!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Last edited by daronson; 05-29-09 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo