Wiring switch and ceiling fan

Old 05-29-09, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring switch and ceiling fan

I have a wall switch that also powers the top plug of some wall receptacles. I ran 14/3 to the switch and then to a new ceiling fan. My plan was to have the light on the fan work off the switch and the fan always hot. The problem I have right now is that there is about a 1 second delay between turning the switch on and the fan light going on. If I plug a lamp into one of the receptacles, it turns on instantly with the switch, there is no delay. So, I wouldn't think it was a faulty switch. I double checked all the connections and used wire nuts etc. Could this still be an issue with the wiring, the switch, or the fan itself....or is this normal????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-09, 08:13 AM
Are both a black and a white wire hooked up to the switch? If so you have a switch loop only and you're wired up in series with any device plugged into a switched recep. Not good.

Old 05-29-09, 09:24 AM
all white wires are connected and not to the switch...this was an existing switch that powered the outlets...all I did was patch into it with a new wire run to the ceiling fan....the switch was black (hot) coming in, a black (hot) going out (I am assuming to another fixture), and a red going out to the outlets that is hot when it is switched on....I took the new black and connected to the existing so that the fan is always hot, connected white to the existing whites (not the switch), and connected the new red to the existing reds so that the light portion of the fan is activated by the switch. I works fine but, like I said there is a short delay for the light to come on when the switch is used....the outlets power on instantly however, when the switch is set to on.

Old 05-29-09, 09:35 AM
The problem I have right now is that there is about a 1 second delay between turning the switch on and the fan light going on
Did the fan come with a remote control? Is this a Hunter fan?

Old 05-29-09, 09:55 AM
no, it did not come with a remote...and yes, it is a hunter fan...i am beginning to think that it is just the way the fan is...i took the guard off the fan as if you were going to install the fan without the light fixture....i did this to inspect the wiring from the factory and all seemed fine...there was some sort of relay or converter that the light wire that passes through before it actually gets to the bulb socket....I am wondering if this converter just causes a slight delay....if i leave the wall switch on and operate the light with the pull chain, there is no delay...

Old 05-30-09, 12:32 AM
Let me expand a little here with the situation with the Hunter fan some of them have electroinic contol to sense the amout of wattage in the lightbulb to prevent useing overwattage bulbs in there and they are " soft on " it mean it will ramp up the voltage pretty fast but not fast as normal power supply is the reason they do that due to prevent burnout the bulb so fast with inrush current.

I just have one done today so I did see that set up.

Merci,Marc