Battery Backup

Old 05-30-09, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Battery Backup

I am trying to build my own battery backup system for my home. My father-in-law is a contractor and electrician, so I can get help with the installation, but need to have everything ready. Basically I don't have a lot to spend on it, but want to be able to run a CPAP machine, fan, and light for up to 10 hours. I think this is about 300 watts? 2.7 Amps?

My idea is to connect a charger to 3 auto batteries in parallel, and connect an inverter to the other end of the set of batteries. Have all this under my house, and run a line through the floor from the inverter to an outlet and a line through the floor from the house to the charger. That way I can charge the batteries or use the system from inside. Is there any problem in connecting them this way, or in using the inverter while the charger is still plugged up (but power is out)? Do I need deep cell batteries? Am I correct that 3 will work? Would it be cheap or easy to set it up so the outlet has power from the house when available and switches to the inverter when it is out?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-09, 05:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The idea of using jerry-rigged medical equipment doesn't seem like to good an idea to me.

Old 05-30-09, 06:13 PM
Received 28 Votes on 26 Posts
Hi Handley, They just set me up with my machine so I'll be looking for a similar set-up. Now I'm capable of wiring up the whole set-up, but I'm going to do as Ray suggests, jerry-rig as little as possible. So here are my thoughts so perhaps ray and others can advise.

Would a srandard battery back-up for a pc be able to handle extra batteries so it could maintain power longer?

Or are there reasonably priced units already setup with 10 - 12 hr capability with a couple of amp draw.

Chris, for your fan, you could pick up a muffin fan, they are quiet and draw very little power. And there are many low power options for a light. If you are using the heater for the humidifier, that is using a lot of the power requirement. With the heater off, you might be able to get the cpap, fan, and light under 1 amp.

Bud

Old 05-30-09, 07:38 PM
When you charge a car battery, it produces hydrogen gas!

(Like the gas which was used for the Hindenburg!)

These can also be the cause of fires...

Causes of a Car Battery Fire | eHow.com

Old 05-30-09, 08:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Off topic a bit but while Hydrogen is a good reason not to have the batteries inside or not use lead/acid batteries but it wasn't really the hydrogen it was the dope used on the gas bag that did in the Hindenburg. In fact the same stuff is now sometimes used as rocket fuel. Isn't PBS wonderful.

Old 05-31-09, 12:39 AM
In order, read page 1, page 2, and page 3.

However, the person who wrote the article doesn't seem to really understand the dangers of storing, charging, and using lead-acid batteries in the living space of the home. The batteries should be in open air. Outside.

Old 05-31-09, 06:46 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A little OT, but thats one of the reasons Im trying to stay away from the cpap route.. I heard that once you start using one, you're committed to using one all the time.
The wife used to bug me about getting something for the apnea I had. The stopping of breathing was bad enough, but the rip roaring snore I would do when I started breathing again woke her up every time.
On a talk show on our national broadcaster one time, they had this gal who seemed to be making good progress with her apnea clients by way of a simple throat exercise.. a training program for that flap area. Kind of hard to put in words, but you make a 'Uhngaah' sound while pulling your back of throat/adams apple zone back as far as possible (using your throat muscles not your hands.. lol).
I need to video tape me sleeping to make absolute sure it has gone away.. but at the least, the wife claims it no longer happens.

Hopefully they'll find some easy surgical method to solving the apnea thing.. it really does wipe you out by not getting enough deep sleep.

Old 05-31-09, 07:32 AM
Received 28 Votes on 26 Posts
Thanks Rick, great links. I had never read the multiple days one night without the machine can cause. Explains a lot.

I took a look at portable power supplies. I'm used to seeing the Ryobi and similar radio, battery charger, and such units on the job site, so I would imagine there will be something along those lines. All a question of what one can justify paying.

Bud