New 220V Line for Hot Tub

Old 05-30-09, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New 220V Line for Hot Tub

I just got a hot tub and need to run a 220V/35 amp line through my attic. Just wanted to get a little feedback before I start. Here's my plan:

Install 40 Amp breaker
Run PVC conduit from the breaker to the attic and cut a hole in the siding to access the attic.
Run approximately 60 feet of 12-3 wire through PVC conduit in the attic.
Run PVC conduit out the attic on the other side of the house to the hot tub.

I wish I could access 220V somewhere closer than the breaker box, but I can't think of anything. I assume the 12-3 line is sufficient for the current I am pulling. Any gotchas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-09, 08:36 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
At least two "gotchas". You need number 8 wire for use with a forty ampere breaker and it is almost always better to run individual conductors in conduit rather than cable.

Old 05-30-09, 08:47 PM
Thanks furd. So does that mean I need to run more than one conduit? I saw lots of 12-3/10-3 cable at Home Depot, is 8-3 just as common?

Old 05-30-09, 08:56 PM
Yeah ., the 8-3 { 10mmX3} is very common item and they do sell bigger verison as well.

But for hot tub appaction there are few spefic codes you must follow you have to run in conduit outside { must have green grounding conductor } for indoor part I think you can get by using 8/3 (10mmX3) without much issue but I will hold that answer for a moment I know other member here will know little more details to confirmed with correct codes.

Yes you will need a disconnect switch withen 5 feet of hottub set up.

If the hot tub do not have GFCI breaker in there then you must add one there { if factory installed then you may not need to use the GFCI breaker at all check the installment sheet for details and hold the cut or install sheet and some hot tub will have inspector sheet if have factory installed GFCI so that something you will have to plan ahead of it }

Merci,Marc

Old 05-30-09, 09:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Post Deleted. .............

Last edited by ray2047; 05-30-09 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-30-09, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If it is 240 volt only you only need two conductors plus ground.
Says 220V, 1 Phase 4 wire, 60 Hz, 40 Amps Max

It has the red, black, white and green/copper.

Old 05-30-09, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If it is 240 volt only you only need two conductors plus ground.
Yeah that true however if they required a GFCI then you have to bring the netrual out there to order get the GFCI function on line side { the load side it don't matter if you need netural or not ( only on two pole format )}

Merci,Marc

Old 05-30-09, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34 View Post
Says 220V, 1 Phase 4 wire, 60 Hz, 40 Amps Max

It has the red, black, white and green/copper.
Hoopsbwc.,

Then you must bring netural along the power conductors do that hottub do have a factory installed GFCI in there or not ?

Merci,Marc

Old 05-30-09, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Hoopsbwc.,

Then you must bring netural along the power conductors do that hottub do have a factory installed GFCI in there or not ?

Merci,Marc
Not sure on the GFCI, may have to add that myself. It has all four wires into the box (including the neutral), but I don't have the user manual as it was used.

Don't some cables include all four wires?

Old 05-31-09, 07:02 PM
Use #8 THHN- Black, Red, White, Green

Old 05-31-09, 08:42 PM
Yeah they do however this one of few area you have to be extra carefull with codes due you have hottub/spa useage here.,

If you do run it outdoor they must be in conduit and the grounding conductor must be insluited green not bare the code is very specfic on this one.

Ok there one trick you can do get the user manual is goggle the manufacter name it should come up on your goggle search foramt once you find it then eitehr download it or save to your " electronic file " in your computer but I really suggest that you print them out as well.

Now if your spa / hot tub do not have GFCI device in there then you will have to buy a spa subpanel they do make it for spa useage which it do included the GFCI breaker and IIRC I think they run between $100-150 range not sure depending on which brand name you will snag they will have a GFCI breaker and addtional breaker for genral recepticle as well.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-01-09, 10:25 PM
Thanks all. With all the codes I'm thinking I might get things setup but then hire an electrician to connect the power and check I met all codes.

Old 06-01-09, 10:43 PM
That will be a good call to get ahold of electrician to hook it up but before you do that talk to them to see what you can do and what not all it depending them what they have in their mind.

They are pretty well updated with modern codes so they will know excatally where to go from there.

Merci,Marc