change Electric Dryer plug from canada to france

Old 06-01-09, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
change Electric Dryer plug from canada to france

Hi,

After 5 years in Canada, I returned in France.

I've got an electric dryer WHIRLPOOL (model : YLER7647EQ2) with me, working on 110-230v, but I have to change the 4 connections plug (Canada) to a 3 connections plug (France)...

How can I do it ?? what are the other things I have to do ?

Thanks for your help

Fred

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-09, 08:14 AM
It is not possible, and even if it were possible, it would not be safe.

The problem is that your North American dryer uses 240-volts for the heating element, but 120 volts for the electronics and the motor. There is no 120 volts supply available in France. If you were to connect this, you would blow out the electronics and timer, and would quickly fry the motor as well.

Old 06-01-09, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I agree with John. The North American and French electric systems are incompatible for a cloths dryer.

Old 06-01-09, 10:26 AM
Bonjour .,

I will reply in both Engish and French.,

Unforetally your North America cloth dryer will not work on French electrical system due there is no 120 volt circuit unless you are in one of very few old power supply area { that about gone by now } The heating element is not a issue but the timer and motor and electronic control they are wired on 120 volts.
This something I done that few time in France but not too widespread is add a transfomer { I typically not recomend it for safety reason }

The best answer is ditch that dryer and get straght 240 volt dryer in France it much cheaper to do that than mess around and someone will get hurt from that.

French verison :

Cependant votre sécheuse de tissu de l'Amérique du Nord ne travaillera pas sur le système électrique français dû il y a No le circuit de 120 volts à moins que vous ne soyez dans un de très peu de vieux secteur d'alimentation électrique {que de parti à ce jour} l'élément chauffant n'est pas une question, mais le minuteur et le contrôle du moteur et électronique ils sont raccordés sur 120 volts.

Cela quelque chose je fait que quelque temps en France mais non trop répandu est ajoute un transfomer {je typiquement pas recomend cela pour la raison de sécurité}

La meilleure réponse est le fossé que la sécheuse et obtenir la sécheuse de 240 volts straght en France cela beaucoup meilleur marché de faire cela que lambine et quelqu'un en sera blessé.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-01-09, 01:19 PM
thanks

OK, thanks for all your replies...
I thought, as PC for example that 110-250v was the fact it will be ok to work on between 110 and 250...

So... Must to spend for another electric dryer

fred

Old 06-01-09, 02:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
thought, as PC for example that 110-250v was the fact it will be ok to work on between 110 and 250.
Apples and oranges. PCs run on low voltage so it's just a matter of dropping the incoming voltage with a transformer that has primary winding taps for both voltages. A dryer in US/Canada though is basically a 120v gas dryer that has had a 240v electric heater substituted for the gas burner.