Electrical for hot tub in 3-season porch?

Old 06-02-09, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical for hot tub in 3-season porch?

We're looking at a hot tub that will require 50A 220V. It will be in an enclosed 3-season porch with wood flooring, very well reinforced. My question has to do with the electrical components. I won't be installing, but would like to know what the electrician is likely to do.

From main basement service panel to tub, is the sequence roughly: 50A GFCI breaker, PVC conduit containing 4 8ga conductors run from panel to porch, PVC conduit enters disconnect switch housing, 4 conductor cable runs from disconnect switch housing to tub.

Is this correct? Also, is the disconnect switch similar to the kind of disconnects used for exterior air conditioners?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-09, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by teddymines View Post
It will be in an enclosed 3-season porch
I always install these as if it was an outdoor installation.

From main basement service panel to tub...4 conductor cable runs from disconnect switch housing to tub.
All right except the cable part. From the disconnect to the tub, you would use a conduit with individual conductors. Often flexible liquidtight conduit is used for the final connection to the tub. (USA. I believe some types of cable are allowed in Canada)

Also, is the disconnect switch similar to the kind of disconnects used for exterior air conditioners?
There are two type you can use. One is the same as an air conditioner which would be okay when paired with a GFCI breaker. If he uses a regular breaker, then he could use a GFCI disconnect which incorporates both disconnect and GFCI functions.

The deciding factor is usually availability or price of the GFCI breaker which can be very expensive for some panel models or does not exist for older brands of panel.

Old 06-02-09, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
All right except the cable part. From the disconnect to the tub, you would use a conduit with individual conductors. Often flexible liquidtight conduit is used for the final connection to the tub. (USA. I believe some types of cable are allowed in Canada)
This will be in the U.S. From the disconnect box to the hot tub (the final connection), are you saying this could be either a PVC conduit containing 4 separate conductors, or a single flexible cable containing 4 conductors?

Also, it just occurred to me that there will be 3 brass floor box covers within 1 to 8 feet from the proposed tub location. They look exactly like this: Thomas & Betts P60DU Floor Box Cover

They are all GFCI'd back at the service panel. Do they have to be removed, or capped over?

Thanks.

Old 06-02-09, 02:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
are you saying this could be either a PVC conduit containing 4 separate conductors, or a single flexible cable containing 4 conductors?
No, the cable is not allowed for a hot tub. It has to be a conduit with four individual conductors. It can be a flexible conduit like liquidtight for the final 6' of the connection to the tub.

Also, it just occurred to me that there will be 3 brass floor box covers within 1 to 8 feet from the proposed tub location....They are all GFCI'd back at the service panel. Do they have to be removed, or capped over?
Yes that is a big problem. The code does not allow any type of electrical outlet within 10' of the tub whether GFCI protected or not. My opinion is that these outlets will need to be removed or relocated to an acceptable distance from the tub. Although I can't think of a specific code article to support this conclusion, it seems unacceptable to have floor-mounted receptacles anywhere on the pool/spa deck; I'm sure the inspector would flag it.

Old 06-04-09, 08:20 AM
Update: the electrician (referred by friend) is coming out today to estimate. He said he would put a 60A breaker in the service panel, run a sheathed cable out to the porch into a hot tub box which has the GFI switch, and then run a special water resistant cable to the tub. Not sure what he called the last run, but he said it is a special type of cable with a hard exterior, maybe liquidtight? I have something like that between my AC disconnect and compressor.

And I plan on reinforcing that section of the porch with some galvanized through bolts and possibly some additional bracing just to be safe.

Sound right?

Old 06-04-09, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
it is a special type of cable with a hard exterior, maybe liquidtight? I have something like that between my AC disconnect and compressor.
It's probably okay -- I'm guessing he plans on using TECK cable. This is a common product in Canada for hot tubs and it is picking up more use in the USA. Your electrician should know if the local inspectors allow it for hot tub installations.

Liquidtight is the type of conduit that goes between the air conditioner and the disconnect. This would also be the more common hot tub hookup in the USA, but there's nothing wrong with the TECK cable approach as long as the inspector gives it the okay.

If he only planned on using UF-B cable, then that is not okay. I don't think anyone would describe UF as "special type of cable with a hard exterior", so that leads me to believe he's using an acceptable material.