Check for amps?

Old 06-02-09, 11:56 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check for amps?

I can use my volt meter to find out how many volts a receptacle is geting but is there a way, without looking at the breaker, to find out how many amps are present?

Old 06-03-09, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You don't measure amperage until there is a load on it. You have the amperage available that is indicated on your breaker. It will trip when that is exceeded plus a little. Why do you need to know this? Why can't you look at the breaker?

Old 06-03-09, 07:28 AM
N
Originally Posted by chandler
You don't measure amperage until there is a load on it.
To make this more clear, there is no amperage to measure until a load is present. Until you plug something in and turn it on, there are no amps to measure.

Old 06-06-09, 04:20 PM
B
actually I'm trying to find out what amperage I'm getting from a portable generator to see if there is enough to power my travel trailer. I have two 2000 watt hondas paralleled together and I want to see what kind of amps. I have. I made my own parallell kit and just want to make sure it works correctly before plugging in the trailer. I'm getting 120 volts, but thats all I can tell.

Old 06-06-09, 04:47 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The honda generators if you go with parallel format you must use the factory parallel kit you can not make your own homemade items for safety reason due

1) get the engines speed to match the load

2) to get proper phasing sequince to get it run right

now for Honda generators If i am right they run in inverter mode if that the case you will need control wires for it

Those part are avabile from Honda generator dealership they will have those part on hand and also have proper overcurrent device after both generator parallel.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: