run a 220 volts for electric dryer

Old 06-03-09, 07:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation run a 220 volts for electric dryer

Hi everyone,

I just got a new electric dryer, but the technician said its need 220 volts, i thought it had 220 volts on the plug, 3 pronzes with an L shape, the adapter fits perfectly with the dryer plug. i thought there was something wrong with the dryer. but after the technician came out and check, its only produce 110 volts, the dryer does light up and tumble, but doesnt produce any heat. so i guess the electricity doesnt produce enough juice to heat up the dryer.

how do i run a 220 volts plugs to feed the dryer from the electric panel? what do i need to make the dryer work?

as u can see, im pretty rookie with electrical stuffs. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-03-09, 07:59 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
i thought it had 220 volts on the plug, 3 pronzes with an L shape, the adapter fits perfectly with the dryer plug.
They don't make an adapter and I can't figure out what you have from your description. The fact you were able to plug it in at all puzzles me. What size breaker is on the circuit? Is the breaker twice as large as some of the other breakers or have two handles tied together. Where did you get the adapter? Look here and tell us if any of the receptacles look like what you have: Plug and Receptacle Configurations

Are you in the USA?

You probably need to run a new 4 wire cable for the dryer but what you are saying doesn't make sense so if it is a home made adapter that may be your problem. That's why the questions. You may just need a different cord on the dryer.

Old 06-03-09, 09:02 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,

yea, im in the usa.

the plug looks similar to the male plug, fema 10-30p. its a pretty good size panel box with 100 amp. i just bought this house and i believed the former owner diy the plug from the electric panel. clothes was hanging all over the basement eventhough he got himself a dryer. so i guess he might have wired its wrong?

Old 06-03-09, 09:16 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Not the size of the panel. The amp size of the dryer breaker. Is the cord on the dryer three prong or four prong? Do you have an analog multimeter? We will probably need to open up the dryer receptacle and see what is there but first answer my questions.

Just a couple of notes: You never use an adapter on a dryer. If the dryer is four prong and receptacle three wire then the cord needs to be changed to three prong and the neutral in the dryer bonded to the case according to manufacturer's instruction..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: