can wire cross over pluming in a wall?

Old 06-03-09, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can wire cross over pluming in a wall?

Had to get new plumber. this one says that I need to have radon vent from sump. he wanted to go up from basement through exterior wall all the way to roof. I had planned on running electrical wire horizontally in this wall for receptacles. the pipe is 3"!! so there is no way that I can have the 1 1/4" clearance. Is that clearance only needed in the areas where the wire passe through stud, or is it necessary everywhere? If I can't cross over this pipe, I guess I will have to take it up through top plate into 2nd floor joists bays, go over past the pipe, then come back down into stud cavity.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-09, 02:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
Is that clearance only needed in the areas where the wire passe through stud
Yes, but you will have a little trouble with 3" pipe as sch 30 DWV pipe is 3.25" O.D. That's of course just barely enough to fit in the stud wall without touching the drywall. I think you'll have to run your wiring to the nearest floor and jog around the pipe through the joist space. If it was 2" I'd say go for it, but 3" just doesn't have enough room.

Old 06-03-09, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
There is nothing wrong with running the cable tight to the drywall. The code is you must be 1 1/4" away from the face of the stud or framing members. I'm not saying it is a good idea, but if there is no other way then you should be ok.

Old 06-03-09, 08:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
Maybe your codes are different there, but here the radon vents go out thru the foundation and vent to free air.

Old 06-03-09, 09:01 PM
thanks all. pcboss, aren't you in maryland? I am in howard county. the plumber actually wasn't certain and said he had to check. so probably find out tomorrow.

Old 06-04-09, 06:55 AM
Do a Google search for "IRC Appendix F." It tells you exactly what you need to do for radon mitigation. The whole mitigation thing is a money-making scam IMO but to pass inspection it's gotta be done.

Old 06-05-09, 06:58 PM
It's perfectly fine to pass wire by the pipe. You are right the 1 1/4 is only required in studs due to nail and screw hazard. Go for it, if it makes you feel better you could sleeve the wire in a short piece mettalic flex for some degree of nail and screw protection although I would'nt advise it because it would not pass code because the flex would not be being used in a manner approved by the manufacturer as there would not be any bushed connection fittings on each end of the flex.

Old 06-05-09, 07:32 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
If it is not "code approved" why would you even mention it?

Old 06-06-09, 03:47 PM
removed harsh comment toward Furd

Last edited by french277V; 06-06-09 at 05:15 PM. Reason: removed harsh comment