Outdoor receptale issue

Old 06-06-09, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Outdoor receptale issue

I too have a problem with a few outlets on the exterior of my home. I just purchased the property and found 3 recepticals on the westside of the home are not functioning along with one receptical inside (westside) the washroom was not functioning. I also noticed that on the same side of the home there are two outdoor light that have to be moved around in order to work as if they were not making correct contact with the bulb. I guess my question would be: could this be the reason why the recepticals on this circuit are not working. Do electricians typicaly put lights and recepticals on the same circuit? Would 3 outlets and one set of lights be on the same circuit? I have tested all the breaker switches and none of them are tripped or labeled. Please help..Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-09, 12:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Post deleted. Mod moved thread while I was posting.

Old 06-06-09, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did move your thread to it own details due it may conflet with other info on other thread.

However for exteral luminaires some do wired on GFCI circuit and some don't depending on the set up.

As far for light bulb concat there is a small centre spring inside the socket take a plastic screwdriver and pull the tab out a little that useally clear up the concat so the lightbulb will work properly { make sure that circuit is complety off before you go this route for safety reason }

You will have to find the GFCI receptaile sometime it will be in odd place something you will never think about it like behind fridge { in the garage } move some stuff off from the wall you will find them and yeah some case it will be in the ceiling { I allready found one like that }

If you can not find it then take one recepale apart at time check the connection to see if they are loose or corroed { this will be good time to buy a non concat voltage tester for your safety sake } and verify the breaker is off before you work on them especally with backstabbers some case they will actally come off on ya when you pull it out

Merci,Marc

Old 06-06-09, 12:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do electricians typicaly put lights and recepticals on the same circuit?
Depends on several factors but in general the older the house the more likely it is.
Would 3 outlets and one set of lights be on the same circuit?
Could be. Depends on the location and if code was followed.
I have tested all the breaker switches and none of them are tripped or labeled.
By tested do you mean turned all the way off and then back on?

The first thing to do is look everywhere for tripped GFCIs. This may be in any bathroom, garage, basement, kitchen, or outside. The GFCI could be behind a piece of furniture, or other "hiding" place and you might not be aware of it.