Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Using Airconditiner requiring 110v 60Hz power source on 220V power source

Using Airconditiner requiring 110v 60Hz power source on 220V power source

Old 06-06-09, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Using Airconditiner requiring 110v 60Hz power source on 220V power source

I bought a Daewoo air conditioner from costo and planning to take it to India where they use 220V power source. My question is, what is the best way to connect this unit there. What pieces of electric hardware pieces I need etc. The specification says Power source is AC 115V, 60Hz, Single Phase. As most electricians there have not done this type of conversion before I want to be educated so I can tell them what need to be done.

Thank You for the help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-09, 05:11 PM
I am sorry it will not work in India due they have 230 volt Line to netural format and what more they have 50 HZ supply it will not work properly with it.

The best thing is sell it and get new one when you get in India that is the safest way to deal with it.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-06-09, 05:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The air conditioner can not be converted. Probably the frequency in India is 50 hz so even if you used a transformer you would still not have the correct frequency. Much cheaper to use an AC built to operate on your mains. There are a couple of Pros with international experience so you might want to wait for them just in case I'm missing something.

Old 06-06-09, 05:18 PM
Ray .,

You did not miss anything as I allready gave the answer and what more some of new window shakers have electronic controls in there that will not work with 50 HZ supply that the other reason why.

Oh yeah India use the UK electrical reguations.,,

Merci,Marc

Old 06-06-09, 06:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Marc, You posted as I was writting. Didn't realize you were in the neighborhood or I would have waited.

Old 06-06-09, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ya can't wait on Marc...he could be on a transatlantic flight....

Marc...don't fly the Airbus 330..ok? Never liked the thought of a 2 engine jet across the oceans.

Old 06-06-09, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Ya can't wait on Marc...he could be on a transatlantic flight....

Marc...don't fly the Airbus 330..ok? Never liked the thought of a 2 engine jet across the oceans.
MDR !! ( LOL!!)

I allready flew in Airbus 330 it is not too bad but I am not too crazy with dual engines over transocean flight but it is pretty big aircraft of course.{I think it seat at least 520 peoples in there }
If you are famuair with Boeing 777 ? if so the Airbus 330 is slightly larger than 777 is.

now back to the topic here

to OP this will be the best suggestion here just get the correct unit in India it much better that way but for electric service over there that something I will not comment too much in here for now.

Merci,Marc