220 and Neutral Wire

Old 06-07-09, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 and Neutral Wire

Hi,

I am hooking up a replacement electric water heater. I have a dual pole 40amp breaker running off a subpanel with separate neutral and ground bars. The wire running to the heater is 10awg with a red, a black, a white and a ground. The water heater simply has the two hots (red and black) and a ground screw. What do I do with the white neutral wire?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-09, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Secure the grounding wire properly and cap off the white wire, as it isn't needed. You will need to change the breaker to a 30 amp breaker as well as the wire isn't rated at 40 amps.

Old 06-07-09, 12:26 PM
Thanks

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Secure the grounding wire properly and cap off the white wire, as it isn't needed. You will need to change the breaker to a 30 amp breaker as well as the wire isn't rated at 40 amps.
I mistyped. It is a 30amp breaker. Should I also disconnet the neutral wire at the box or is that basically irrelevant?

Old 06-07-09, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Cap it off....not used for a straight 220 WH. But don't cut it..it could come in handy later.

Hmmm...no expert...but it seems like the breaker may be bigger than normally needed ...was thinking most were 30A...but as I said..no expert..wait for one of them to chime in.

EDIT See this is what happens when you are watching a race and trying to reply.....lol

Old 06-07-09, 12:34 PM
Thanks to you too...

Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Cap it off....not used for a straight 220 WH. But don't cut it..it could come in handy later.

Hmmm...no expert...but it seems like the breaker may be bigger than normally needed ...was thinking most were 30A...but as I said..no expert..wait for one of them to chime in.

EDIT See this is what happens when you are watching a race and trying to reply.....lol
I appreciate it. Guess I could have saved some money on the 10awg wire (2 wire instead of 3), but as you say, maybe it could come in handy some day down the road.

Last edited by ArchStanton; 06-07-09 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-07-09, 12:48 PM
Gunguy.,

Normally 90% of resdentail wateheater use either 25 or 30 amp two pole breaker that useally good up to 4500 but get to 5500 even 6000 watts then 30 amp breaker is correct for this size.

for other oddballs {the last 10% } we will go by nameplate to get the correct info on heating element size and phases if it is a three phase verison.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-07-09, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thats what I thought Marc...but I always qualify my statements if I'm not positive. Really didn't expect as many experts as are here today...Sundays are normally pretty slow.

Old 06-07-09, 01:12 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
but anyway, since you have #10 wire, you have to change the breaker to a 30 amp. That is the largest breaker you can use (under typical circumstances) with #10 wire.

disconnect the neutral at both ends and tape them off.