Sub Panel Install

Old 06-08-09, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sub Panel Install

So I have a GE ProMark GOld Main Panel and a GE Pro Mark Gold Sub Panel. The two panels are 55 feet apart and the subpanel is 100 AMPs. I have the 2 AWG aluminum wire run between the panels and the sub panel mounted.

The Sub Panel does not come with the ground bar, but I would like to remove the bonding strap between the two neutral bars and use the left most bar for my ground.

Will this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-09, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DwightKeenan View Post
I have the 2 AWG aluminum wire run between the panels and the sub panel mounted.
If you are on 2008 code, #2 aluminum is not acceptable for a 100A panel. I think MN has already switched to '08 code.

The Sub Panel does not come with the ground bar, but I would like to remove the bonding strap between the two neutral bars and use the left most bar for my ground.
If the bar is solidly connected to the metal panel box it can be used as a ground bar.

Old 06-08-09, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
If you are on 2008 code, #2 aluminum is not acceptable for a 100A panel. I think MN has already switched to '08 code.

If the bar is solidly connected to the metal panel box it can be used as a ground bar.
How do I find out the code we are on?

I have the green screw that came with the sub panel, so I shoudl just have to run that through the ground bar to make it solidly connected, right?

Old 06-08-09, 11:14 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If both don't have a bonding screw or strap to the box use the one with the bonding screw or strap to the box for the ground bar. As already written yes disconnect the connecting strap and remove any bonding connection on the other.

Edit: Yes, use the green bonding screw on the one that will be used as a ground bus.

Old 06-08-09, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If both don't have a bonding screw or strap to the box use the one with the bonding screw or strap to the box for the ground bar. As already written yes disconnect the connecting strap and remove any bonding connection on the other.
THe one side has a lug for the neutral wire, so I am pretty confident it isn't bonded to the box. FOr the other side, it has the green screw for bonding it to the box. THe instructions are vague, but I assume that I can put that screw thorugh the hole where the Lug would be if it were the Neutral bar.

Old 06-08-09, 11:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I assume that I can put that screw thorugh the hole where the Lug would be if it were the Neutral bar.
Yes, through the hole into the box to make it the ground bar.

Old 06-08-09, 01:54 PM
Ray2047,

Thanks for helping.

Old 06-08-09, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Ask the inspector or look at the paperwork when you get the permit.

Old 06-13-09, 07:18 PM
So I removed the bonding strip and put the bonding screw on the side of the panel that is going to be dedicated for the ground. I received my lug kit in the mail today and have a question about installing it.

It isn't the cube that sits on the bar, it is the L shaped one that sits off of the bar. I was wondering if it would be okay to mount the lug kit in the same hole that held the bonding strap in place? This way it is out of the way and isn't using up any of the holes in the bar. I may have to break a small piece of black plastic clip that holds the bar in place, but with the bonding screw there now, it won't move any way.

What do you think?

Old 06-13-09, 08:32 PM
The state of Minnestoa is allready on 2008 NEC code cycle.

You can check with the city hall where you get the permits and they will tell you the latest code cycle plus some local codes if they have it along the way.

Merci,Marc