Quick Question

Old 06-08-09, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick Question

If I run 10/2 wire from a 30amp breaker out to a switch box in my garage Can I then power all 4 of my garage lights and the 3 outlets with 12/2 meeting the 10/2 in the box. or do I have to use 10/2 throughout the whole deal? I ask because all I have around the house are 30amp breakers, and the 12/2 is allready wired for the outlets and the lights in the garage.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-09, 01:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyc803 View Post
If I run 10/2 wire from a 30amp breaker out to a switch box in my garage
Yes
Can I then power all 4 of my garage lights and the 3 outlets with 12/2 meeting the 10/2 in the box.
Yes but you will have to reduce the breaker size to 20 amps. That is the maximum permitted for a general purpose 120v circuit.
or do I have to use 10/2 throughout the whole deal?
Since you would have to use a 20 amp breaker #12 would be fine.
I ask because all I have around the house are 30amp breakers, and the 12/2 is allready wired for the outlets and the lights in the garage.
If you want to use a 30a breaker you will need a sub panel at the garage. Note if the garage is detached you can only run one circuit.

Tell us what you have and all loads in the garage and we can help you.

Old 06-08-09, 01:36 PM
Ok that answers that, one more question. I allready have power out to one switch in the garage with 12/2 where I want a 3 way switch. Could I use 12/3 wire and go from the hot switch box over to the other switch box to bring power and the seperate switching capability to the other switch or does the other switch box( which contains the wires for all the lights and plugins) need to get a hot wire in some other manner?

Old 06-08-09, 04:29 PM
Better to run a separate cable if I understand your question. There are several ways to connect a three way but most require three conductor cable so there would be no spare wire. Suggest you get a book such as "Wiring Simplified" at Home Depot so you can better understand what you are doing.
one more question. I allready have power out to one switch in the garage with 12/2
Then if the garage is not attached to the house you can not run a second cable. It is a code violation.

Old 06-08-09, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Better to run a separate cable if I understand your question. There are several ways to connect a three way but most require three conductor cable so there would be no spare wire. Suggest you get a book such as "Wiring Simplified" at Home Depot so you can better understand what you are doing. Then if the garage is not attached to the house you can not run a second cable. It is a code violation.

Ray .,

Normally yes it is a violation however if you go with three way switch loop get the power from the garage side then yeah it is legit { I know it very nutty if not read the code right}

I done that more than once.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-08-09, 05:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
I thought the OP was asking if they could take power over to another box in the garage using the 3 wire cable for the second 3w switch or would he need to get a constant hot to the 2 gang 3w switch and receptacle box.

Perhaps the OP could clarify?

Old 06-08-09, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
I thought the OP was asking if they could take power over to another box in the garage using the 3 wire cable for the second 3w switch or would he need to get a constant hot to the 2 gang 3w switch and receptacle box.

Perhaps the OP could clarify?
Yes, that is what I thought. But I spent 30 minuets trying to figure out exactly what the OP meant and still wasn't sure. Also it seems he may be running a second cable for power to the garage. I understand if they are outside lights but ok I guess it doesn't matter if they are inside so I see Marc's point to but then what about receptacles on the house light circuit?. Think I'm going to set back and just lurk on this one.

Old 06-08-09, 06:44 PM
If I run 10/2 wire from a 30amp breaker out to a switch box in my garage Can I then power all 4 of my garage lights and the 3 outlets with 12/2 meeting the 10/2 in the box. or do I have to use 10/2 throughout the whole deal? I ask because all I have around the house are 30amp breakers, and the 12/2 is allready wired for the outlets and the lights in the garage.
Ok that answers that, one more question. I allready have power out to one switch in the garage with 12/2 where I want a 3 way switch. Could I use 12/3 wire and go from the hot switch box over to the other switch box to bring power and the seperate switching capability to the other switch or does the other switch box( which contains the wires for all the lights and plugins) need to get a hot wire in some other manner?
Now as myself and few members here have few unanswer question and Right now I am try to get to the bottom of this matter.,

For your first question., Yes you can run 10-2 however you only can use 20 amp breaker due you allready have 12-2 inside of the garage now.

The second question is you want to convert one switch to three way now the question is which side is the power source you have on now ?

That question will affect codewise.

If you get power from detached garage then yes it is legit however if you get from house side yes it can however there is a MAJOR gotcha you can not add any more circuit to this setup that something you have to plan it ahead before you get any more conductors out in the garage.

{ Per NEC code you only can have one circuit run to the garage it can be either single circuit or MWBC AKA subpanel that the only two legit options but IIRC there is specal extempt for luminaire on three way format ( some inspectors will not approve this ) }

Merci,Marc

Old 06-08-09, 11:10 PM
I hope this clears up your questions: I have a ranch home with an attached garage. I was doing some remodeling on a closet that jetted out into the garage and found out that the hot wire for the whole garage came into the light fixture in the top of the closet off of the kitchen that protrudes out into the garage. From that light fixture 12/2 was ran down to a 3 way switch that controlled only one light in the garage. From that switch 12/3 was ran to the other side of the garage into another switch and finally 12/2 from the other switch to the one light controlled by both switches. Another 12/2 wire fed back out of the light fixture in the closet to the north side of the garage to a switch box for an exterior light fixture. This box also had 12/2 wire coming into this switch to power the outlets and the other 3 lights which each have a pull chain. I didn't like all the wires in the one light fixture so the only thing I changed was taking the wire out that ran to the switch where the 3 lights and outlets got their power from. My goal is to install a 3 way switch and a normal switch in this switchbox so that I can have 3 way switch capability on all 4 lights instead of just one and have a dedicated line direct from my box in my homes basement to that switch to bring power in. Instead of first having to tinker inside the light fixture within the pantry closet to make any adjustments. If I understand you correctly to do this I will need a 20 amp breaker running 12/2 to that switch on the north side then run 12/3 between the switches and then daisy chain all 4 lights with 12/2 back to one of the switch boxes.

Old 06-09-09, 01:02 AM
You had left out an important detail, that it is an attached garage. That changes things and makes it a lot simpler. If you want all the lights on a single set of three way switches the easiest is to just control one light and daisy chain from it to the rest of the lights using 12-2. Since you already have a light on the three way set you could just power the other lights from that after disconnecting the current hot wire going to them.

You seem to have several things on the lighting circuit so I would suggest a separate circuit for all the receptacles. This circuit must either be protected by a GFCI receptacle at the beginning of the string or a GFCI circuit breaker. A separate circuit not only provides more capacity but an alternate source for light should the lighting breaker ever trip.

Pros will have to weigh in on if a light in a kitchen closet raises any special rules for running power to lights in other rooms.

Old 06-09-09, 08:07 PM
Ray is right you did left the key word attached garage that will make it eaiser and there is no restrictions at all.

However., The kitchen Lighting circuit it is not a issue { as long it is not feed from SABC { small appalince branch circuit}

The quickest way to verify is either map the circuit out or test the GFCI recepteales to make sure you are on legit side.

Merci,Marc