GFCI not working to pool

Old 06-09-09, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI not working to pool

I'm new at this so please be patient. I will try to explain this as best as I can. I would appreciate any help!

I bought a house back in September that has a pool. The pool has a post next to it with a GFCI and an "on and off" switch for the pump. It has conduit running from there, underground to a post on the porch, which also has a receptacle, which by the way is NOT a GFCI. The GFCI by the pool quit working when we moved in. It was working at one time because it was running the pump both times my wife and I looked at the house before we bought it. The outlet under the porch still works, because from what I can see in the conduit that runs to it, there's a seperate wire for it, which I think is a #12.

My question is, do I have to dig up the conduit and replace that whole #12 wire? I want to sure that there's nothing else I can do before I start the digging process. Any ideas?

By the way, the guy who sold us the house said he replaced the receptacle by the pool. I don't know if it was a GFCI or not, which I know it's suppose to be. I replaced the GFCI and the switch, but no luck. I also tried replacing the receptacle under the porch with a GFCI, but it didn't work either. It only works with a non-GFCI.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-09, 08:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
If I understand your setup the non-GFI receptacle under the porch works and this also feeds the conduit going to the pool pump receptacle.

Have you taken voltage reading at the pool receptacle form both hot to ground and hot to neutral?

Since you have conduit you should not have to dig. If the wires are bad you can pull in new wires using the old wires to pull the new wires into the conduit.

Old 06-09-09, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
If I understand your setup the non-GFI receptacle under the porch works and this also feeds the conduit going to the pool pump receptacle.

Have you taken voltage reading at the pool receptacle form both hot to ground and hot to neutral?

Since you have conduit you should not have to dig. If the wires are bad you can pull in new wires using the old wires to pull the new wires into the conduit.
No, the receptacle under the porch does not feed the pool pump. I thought it did until l took the cover off last night. It looks like there is a seperate #12 wire passing the porch receptacle and going out to the pool pump. I took readings from the pool receptacle and it's getting no juice at all. The reset button on the GFCI doesn't even stay pushed in.

Old 06-09-09, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Have you checked all the breakers to see if any are tripped? Sometimes a tripped breaker is not all that obvious by sight, try running you hand down the row and see if one feels out of place. Turn it all the way off and then on to reset.

Do you have any test equipment? Did you verify the correct connections at the new GFI?

Old 06-09-09, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Have you checked all the breakers to see if any are tripped? Sometimes a tripped breaker is not all that obvious by sight, try running you hand down the row and see if one feels out of place. Turn it all the way off and then on to reset.

Do you have any test equipment? Did you verify the correct connections at the new GFI?
No breakers have tripped. I will look again tonight to see if the GFI is wired correctly, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Old 06-10-09, 05:59 AM
GFCI breaker with GFCI receptacles?

Originally Posted by clueless4u View Post
I replaced the GFCI and the switch, but no luck. I also tried replacing the receptacle under the porch with a GFCI, but it didn't work either. It only works with a non-GFCI.
I'm not a licensed electrician, but I have a question to ask everyone on your behalf here.

Why is a regular receptacle working and not a GFCI? Say there is now a GFCI breaker monitoring this circuit at the panel, then would a GFCI receptacle still work on that circuit or only a regular receptacle?
Maybe the sellers made the switch before closing to cover this outside circuit, but maybe didn't test it.

Last edited by mickblock; 06-10-09 at 06:12 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-10-09, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
I'm not a licensed electrician, but I have a question to ask everyone on your behalf here.

Why is a regular receptacle working and not a GFCI? Say there is now a GFCI breaker monitoring this circuit at the panel, then would a GFCI receptacle still work on that circuit or only a regular receptacle?
Maybe the sellers made the switch before closing to cover this outside circuit, but maybe didn't test it.
That is the thing that's confusing me. I don't know why a regular is working and not a GFCI. I'm starting to think that if I install a regular receptacle out by the pool then that one would work also, but I'm not going to. I think there was MAYBE a regular one out there when the last owner had the house and the safety inspector made him change it to a GFCI, and he just never tested to see if it worked.

Old 06-11-09, 11:10 AM
both need to be gfi protected. Check the panel for any GFIs and reset regardless if you they they tripped or not. Are you installing the GFCI correctly? line on the power coming in and load to the pump side?

Old 06-11-09, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Danny7633 View Post
both need to be gfi protected.
I don't think that this reply answers the question.

Old 06-12-09, 06:57 AM
Are you installing the GFCI correctly?
No but this does..............

Old 06-12-09, 06:59 AM
Perhaps its a MWBC and shared neutral... Hence the GFCI not functioning properly

Old 06-12-09, 08:18 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
clueless4u are you still with us? If so please post back. I'm afraid this thread has wandered so much without any conclusive suggestions you may have given up on us.

To restate the problem you have a line probably from breaker box to pool receptacle that doesn't work. The porch box is NOT involved. It is just a pull point. Is that correct?

Old 06-15-09, 07:33 AM
Well, good news and bad news here.

The good news is that I got the GFCI under the porch to work (had the wires backwards). There is ZERO power going out to the pool so I'm still working on that one. The wires in the junction box seem to be wired correctly so I figured it has to be underground. I dug a little bit where the conduit runs from the porch post to underground and noticed that the conduit stops at about six inches. I dug a little more and saw that there's a green garden hose attached to the end of the PVC conduit. Yes, you guessed it! The guy who installed the wires used a garden hose as conduit. Looks like I have some digging to do.

Old 06-15-09, 10:19 AM
If the receptacle under the porch has an insulated ground wire you could run from there. You can not use UF to the pool pump. You must use conduit with insulated ground. Your best bet may be to run to the beaker box

Alternately if you have an interior receptacle on an outside wall you could add an exterior box on the outside wall to run the pump conduit from. In this case a bare ground on the interior receptacle would be ok as long as you extended it with an insulated ground. Of course you would want a very light existing load on the circuit if you chose this method.

Old 06-16-09, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
If the receptacle under the porch has an insulated ground wire you could run from there. You can not use UF to the pool pump. You must use conduit with insulated ground. Your best bet may be to run to the beaker box

Alternately if you have an interior receptacle on an outside wall you could add an exterior box on the outside wall to run the pump conduit from. In this case a bare ground on the interior receptacle would be ok as long as you extended it with an insulated ground. Of course you would want a very light existing load on the circuit if you chose this method.
must be 20amp circuit............

Old 06-16-09, 10:49 AM
must be 20amp circuit............
Yes, thanks for catching that.