Main breaker tripping questions

Old 06-11-09, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main breaker tripping questions

I too have been having these same issues lately. Only mine is between the dryer and the water heater (both electric). We've switched out the heating elements in the water heater and changed the plug for the dryer. After a couple of weeks of everything working fine, the main breaker outside of my home started tripping again. Because my landlord owns the property, her "contractor" came to look at it and said it was fine. I'm afraid to contact her again about this issue because she did nothing about it the first time.

Any suggestions besides calling in a professional?

Last edited by pcboss; 06-12-09 at 06:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-09, 02:12 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
What size is the main breaker? If it is only a 100 ampere AND you have an electric range, water heater, dryer, air conditioner and some other electrical loads it is possible that you are just "pulling" too much power with the combined loads. This could be true even without the A/C or if you have a 125 ampere breaker.

It would help if you could detail all the electrical loads on at the time the main breaker trips.

Old 06-12-09, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It does sound like everything is fine. If there was an equipment problem it would tend to show up quicker than this. If you go a few weeks without tripping something must be being run at the same time to overload the main. I would take note of everything that is running when the trip event occurrs.

Old 06-12-09, 09:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by vickio View Post
the main breaker outside of my home started tripping again.
I have seen some cases where the breaker trips more easily if it in the heat of direct sunlight. Perhaps try to find a pattern in the appliances that are running when the breaker trips. Feel the breaker quickly after the trip to see if it's hot.