Help solving an argument...

Old 06-12-09, 07:58 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help solving an argument...

My co-worker and I are having a small "discussion" about my small refrigerator in my office. I recently changed the thermostat in the fridge to make it colder. Since then, a breaker in the office (the breaker houses several different offices in the building) keeps tripping. He claims that the change in my thermostat is causing the breaker to trip because the fridge is pulling more amps to make the fridge cooler. I say nay nay. The fridge pulls the same number of amps regardless of desired temperature, it just runs longer. The only way I can see it pulling "more amps" is that the motor may kick on and off more frequently to keep the temperature higher and the motor will pull up to 200% amps to "start up" than running amps. Who is correct here?

Old 06-12-09, 08:06 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by XRaheemX
The fridge pulls the same number of amps regardless of desired temperature, it just runs longer.
That is correct.

It still could be causing the breaker to trip though. One of the mechanisms that breakers use to trip is heat (which is the result of too many amps). With the fridge running more frequently the breaker has less time to cool off between cycles so you could have some heat build-up which eventually causes a trip.

If this is the case though, it would suggest that the circuit is already on the hairy edge of being overloaded so it might make sense to have the circuit split into two to better meet your needs.

Old 06-12-09, 10:02 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
To further corroborate what Ben said, all breakers have a trip curve. (I tried to find one online, but of course, since I was looking, I couldn't find one). Basically it's a curve that says if 20A is being pulled through a 20A breaker, it would take say 30 minutes to trip. If 22A was pulled, it would take 10 minutes, If 30A was pulled, it would take 5 seconds, etc.

So while your fridge is not pulling more power at any one instant, it is pulling more power over time, which is likely causing the breaker trip.

Old 06-12-09, 11:30 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XRaheemX
My co-worker and I are having a small "discussion" about my small refrigerator in my office. I recently changed the thermostat in the fridge to make it colder. Since then, a breaker in the office (the breaker houses several different offices in the building) keeps tripping. He claims that the change in my thermostat is causing the breaker to trip because the fridge is pulling more amps to make the fridge cooler. I say nay nay. The fridge pulls the same number of amps regardless of desired temperature, it just runs longer. The only way I can see it pulling "more amps" is that the motor may kick on and off more frequently to keep the temperature higher and the motor will pull up to 200% amps to "start up" than running amps. Who is correct here?
I don't think so unless someone did add a window shaker or powerfull fan what else they added into the office between you crank up the fride and now like more fans or windowshaker or something high power drawage add to the circuit.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-12-09, 11:46 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
That's true -- it could be a space heater under somebody's desk. That's a pretty common problem in office buildings when circuits are tripping a lot. Or maybe a laser printer or (non-inkjet) copy machine.

Old 06-12-09, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I agree with the other posts. I would look or another cause for the breaker to trip (such as the mentioned heater) Another thought is the fridge may be failing. Maybe a little fridge maintenance is in order.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: