outlets dont work breaker not tripped

Old 06-13-09, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outlets dont work breaker not tripped

Opened my garage door and came back to shut it after about 20 minutes. Now it wont shut and every outlet on that breaker is out. Changed the breaker and outlets still dont work. ANy ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-09, 04:12 PM
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Have you checked to see if one of the recepticals is a GFCI. Palen breaker has to be on to reset a GFCI.

Bud

Old 06-13-09, 04:20 PM
None are GFCI Also the only GFCI I have in the house is working fine.

Old 06-13-09, 04:38 PM
Are you really sure there is only one GFCI outlet in the house?

Often you can find a GFCI hidden by storage in a different area, but it was convenient to run the line to the garage, so was tapped on to.

I have one GFCI kitchen outlet that was taped onto for one of my downstairs family room outlets. In this case lightning hit near my house, followed the cable into the family room and blew the set that was plugged into the family room outlet that fed by the kitchen GFCI.

Keep looking for another GFCI and trip it and then reset.

Old 06-13-09, 06:45 PM
what year is that house build in ? the reason why I ask due there are diffrent code cycle over the years and it will really help us to pinpoint it along the way.

The other issue is bad connection the backstabbers is most common cuprit remove them and relocated to screw type it will work very fine like that.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-17-09, 04:00 PM
The house is about 20 years old. When you say change out the outlet....which one. The garage doors outlets are not backstabbed. Should I change out any that are backstabbed that do not work?

Old 06-17-09, 04:02 PM
I have also looked for more GFI outlets and I cant find one. I know which outlets in the house are effected by the GFI tripping and it is not any of the ones that currenlty do not work.

Old 06-17-09, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Receptacles on a circuit are typically daisy chained. That is power goes to receptacle #1, #1 feeds #2 and so forth. The problem could be with the last good receptacle or the first bad receptacle. The wiring may be logical or jump around so you may have to open every receptacle, light, and even switch to find the problem. And there could be Jboxes too which need to be checked. It is best to move all back stabs.