Adding a new switch and light to an existing circuit

Old 06-16-09, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a new switch and light to an existing circuit

I have a hallway with an existing light that is controlled by a single pole switch. There is power running from the breaker to the existing switch and from the switch to the existing light. I want to add a second switch that controls a second light, and I'd like to tap into the power that is coming into the existing switch. I understand how to wire the new lights, I'm just not sure how to bring power to the new switch and then on to the new lights.

Currenlty, the black wire from the breaker and the black wire that goes to the existing light are both wired to the existing switch. The white wire from the breaker and the white wire that goes to the existing light are connected with a wirenut.

My plan is to splice the black and white wires coming from the breaker so that I have two of each; then wire one of the spliced black wires to each switch along with the black wire from the respective light; then connect one of the spliced white wires from the switch to each of white wires of the respective lights.

Does this sound right? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-09, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
At the existing switchbox, you should have three each of black, white and bare; going to the breaker, the existing light and the new switchbox.

1) Connect all of the bare wires together with a wirenut, including a 6" bare pigtail to the grounding screw on the switch and a pigtail to the box grounding screw if it is metal.

2) Wirenut the three white wires together.

3) Connect the black from the light to one of the screws on the switch.

4) Connect a 6" pigtail of black wire to the other screw on the switch.

5) Wirenut the two remaining black wires along with the other end of the black pigtail together.

At the new switch box,

1) Wirenut bare grounds along with device and box grounds.

2) Wirenut two whites.

3) One black to each switch terminal.