Location of security light

Old 06-17-09, 07:56 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Location of security light

I would like to add a motion sensor light to the back of my house between my house & my neighbors. It would be about 10ft above grd level. I have 2ft plywood overhang (soffit). I could easily run the wiring thru the attic.
Can I mount it to the soffit or does it have to be on the vertical wall? Also, would it require a weathertight box since it's outdoors?
SteveS

Old 06-17-09, 08:27 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Skramy
Can I mount it to the soffit or does it have to be on the vertical wall?
Usually you can. Look at the light fixtures in the store for one that is rated for wall or ceiling mount.

would it require a weathertight box since it's outdoors
If the box is surface mounted on the soffit, then it needs to be weathertight. If the box is mounted through the soffit so that the box is inside but it opens to the outside through a hole you cut then a regular box is okay. The light will probably come with a rubber gasket to seal it to the box -- if it doesn't use some silicone caulk.

Old 06-17-09, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why would you need a box? Most pir security lights ar ip44 and just take normal 14 gauge cable.

Old 06-18-09, 07:22 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 07bloomfieldb
Why would you need a box? Most pir security lights ar ip44 and just take normal 14 gauge cable.
Most posters here are in the USA so if they don't give location we assume, sometimes wrongly, they are In the US. A junction box is required in the US unless the fixture has a built in junction box and most don't. Also please note cable size would be based on breaker size.

Now, let me welcome you to the forum if you haven't been welcomed. We need more members from across the pond for help with European questions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: