laundry room receptacle questions

Old 06-15-09, 02:18 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laundry room receptacle questions

I think my book says that the laundry room needs own circuit. I am a little confused. I will run circuit for dryer. The lights will be separated from receptacles and share a lighting circuit with other rooms. So, do I just need one circuit for the rest of room, which would mean the washing machine and other receptacles? Or should I dedicate one circuit to the washing machine, and then put another circuit for other items like an iron or other equipment? And could that cirucit be shared with the walk-in closet receptacles in the adjacent room?

Old 06-15-09, 03:06 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
The requirement is for (at least) one 20A circuit that serves only laundry room receptacles. That can include the washer, dryer (if it's gas), iron, etc. It can not feed any other room or any lighting.

It's up to you if you want a second circuit for your washer. It's usually not needed unless you have an especially large washer. In my opinion, one circuit would be fine for the washer and iron.

Of course, your dryer will need it's own 240v 30A circuit if it's electric (as you expected).

Old 06-15-09, 04:54 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
checked my old washing machine-it says 10Amp, 120V and iron says 1100watt. adding up to 2300watt! which would be over 80% of the 20 amp circuit. are these numbers normal? I don't know what my new washing machine that will be going in this room is rated at. I need a circuit to supply the walk in closet. If I could get by with one 20A in laundry, I could get the closet circuit from else where. But if the one 20A is not going to be enough in laundry, then I will just take the second laundry room circuit and extend it into the closet.

Old 06-15-09, 07:05 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Code only requires a 20A receptacle circuit for the laundry area. It does not specifically require that it be used only for the washer or iron, etc.

Originally Posted by hammerash
checked my old washing machine-it says 10Amp, 120V and iron says 1100watt. adding up to 2300watt! which would be over 80% of the 20 amp circuit. are these numbers normal?
Normal yes. The 80% rule is only for continuous (>3 hrs.) loads. General-purpose use is allowed up to 100% (2400W). The amp rating of the washer is only during the spin cycle which is a couple minutes at most.

Old 06-16-09, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
An unless you REALLY like to iron, I doubt the iron will be on for 3 or more hours either.

Old 06-16-09, 11:48 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand
An unless you REALLY like to iron, I doubt the iron will be on for 3 or more hours either.
That one thing about modern electric iron is they useally have a build in timer so after 2 to 5 minutes not in use it will turn off automatically to get it back on either reset the switch or shake it that will useally kick them back on.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: