lights out

Old 06-18-09, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lights out

lights out

About 8 years ago I installed some track lights on 2 sides of our ceiling. The
lights are about half way up both sides of our 20 foot A frame ceiling. I know
when I installed them I installed a breaker for each set of lights. Each side
has 3 lengths of 3 65 watt lights so it would be 585 watts on each side.
Gradually the lights went out on one side. About 2 years ago, I tried to
replace the burned out lights and none of the replacements worked. The last of
the the lights went out about a month ago. I was in the room and the last 3
went out at the same time. I tried to replace the lights on that side and none
of the replacements worked there either. I know I had breakers that could
handle the wattage on each side. Does anyone know why the replacements won't
work? Does anyone know what may have gone wrong and what to do about it?

Thanks
GB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 05:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Move the breaker all the way to the off position then on. See if lights work. Be sure the bulbs are correct. Try another brand of bulb.Take a working fixture and bulb from another track and put in the track where nothing works. Take a couple of fixtures and bulbs that don't work and try on the track where the lights do work. All the preceding assumes 120v track lighting. If low voltage let us know.

Old 06-18-09, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. I turned both breaker switches off and on. I have tried a few new bulbs and also new bulbs from different packages and also a bulb that worked in another part of the house. None of these worked. All the bulbs that I know of in the track lighting are burned out. The last 3 lights that went out seemed like they burned out. The got extra bright for a second and then poof.

The lighting and the bulbs are all for 120 V. I am not sure what you mean by low volts. All of the other fixtures and lighting seem to work okay except one in the bathroom. I may ask about that one later.

Thanks,
GB

Old 06-18-09, 11:50 PM
It possiblty that you are on MWBC { multi wire branch circuit} if the netral gone bad the voltage will go much higher that explain why if all three bulbs burn out the same time.

Get the voltmeter to verify the voltage at the luminaire location otherwise switch location is good place to check it out if you are reading more than 130 volts then very good chance that you have bad netural on MWBC somewhere the circuit.

If that the case it will be little more tricky to troubeshooting you will need to kill at least 2 circuit breakers to find bad netual connection.

I am pretty sure somewhere you have bad connection at the junction box or along the recpectale where they have backstabbed connection { this is rather very common issue with MWBC } One warning here if you see the repectale with red and black conductors { make sure this is not a half switched receptale or single duplex switched } and not a switched recpatles then be extra carefull until you verify both red and black conductor is off.

You will need voltage detector for this one to verify both circuits is off.
The reason why I say that if you turn one circuit off and the other circuit is still alive if you work on netural conductor and pull it apart it can nail ya if not carefull that one reason why I mention make sure both hot conductors is off before you do it.

Merci,Marc