Electrical Spikes

Old 06-18-09, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical Spikes

Every now and then I have a spike and the lights get very bright then go to normal. I have contacted the city power ,which I am on, and they say it is on my side according to the electrical department. So, what do I have that would cause these spikes? I'M, clueless...!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ask them to explain where you are generating the extra current to make the lights to go brighter. They may not have an answer.
Do you have any large compressors running, like freezers, or pumps. The low light may be drawn down, and when the pump or freezer cuts off, it brightens up momentarily.

Old 06-18-09, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Did you call emergency service and did they come out and check?

Old 06-18-09, 08:39 PM
Spikes are not always on your side of the pole.
We had a machine shop down the street, and when they would turn on one of the bigger power consuming tools, the lights around here would get very bright. On more than one occasion, the lights would blow out.
Once the source was tract down, the power co. ran separate 3phase power for them, now all is good.

Travis

Old 06-18-09, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by clockmaker View Post
Every now and then I have a spike and the lights get very bright then go to normal. I have contacted the city power ,which I am on, and they say it is on my side according to the electrical department. So, what do I have that would cause these spikes? I'M, clueless...!
Did they send someone out and verify their service drop on their side ?

If not they should come out and verify the connection most likely loose netural connection that will raise issue with it.

Once the POCO say their side is good then you have issue inside your electrical system with loose netual it can be inside the load centre or bad connection on meter or one of the circuit is bad { espcally true with multiwire branch circuits }

For load centre I will just recomend get the electrician to come out and deal with it due it is kinda out of the DIY scope due too many things can go wrong if not done right.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-19-09, 04:10 AM
The POCO did send someone out to verify it was not on their side. I plan to have an electrician check the neutrals. We will see what that turns up. Thanks George

Old 06-19-09, 04:12 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Ask them to explain where you are generating the extra current to make the lights to go brighter. They may not have an answer.
Do you have any large compressors running, like freezers, or pumps. The low light may be drawn down, and when the pump or freezer cuts off, it brightens up momentarily.
Nope, nothing that big, especial at 5am in the morning.

Old 06-19-09, 04:14 AM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Did you call emergency service and did they come out and check?
Yes I did they came that day. These spikes don't happen daily just every now and then, enough to ruin the computer in he washer and stove according to the service technician..

Old 06-19-09, 09:28 PM
If the spikes are infrequent, how did they (the POCO) confirm that they were not their problem? Did it do it while they were there? It's hard to fix if it ain't doing it while you're there.

Most POCO's like ours have recording devices they can leave on site to monitor your service to look for intermittent problems like yours. Most will monitor voltage and current so you can see if your problems are load related. Generally they leave it a week or so, and ask you to note the times that you see an occurence.

If your electrician comes up with nothing, ask them if they have something like this.

Old 06-20-09, 04:15 AM
I didn't know that...? well of course it is not the POCO it never is...LOL I'm certain the electrician is not going to come up with anything. All of the connections I can see and put a tool on were not lose and did have plenty of anti-corrosion paste on it. There is one area I did not check and that was inside my manual transfer switch in the attic for the home generator. However, last time I looked in it everything was tight there as well and lubed up. Thanks George.

BTW I have not had a spike in a couple of months.

Old 06-21-09, 08:47 AM
I probably ought to be fair and say "our" POCO has monitoring devices....I don't want to infer that they all do (although I suspect most would).

A thought that just came to mind is switched capacitor banks on the POCO's side.
POCO's bring capacitor banks on line as needed to correct for voltage, power factor, etc. and, depending on the size of the bank, these can sometimes cause noticeable spikes. Often you will see a lot of switching in the spring and fall as the AC loads are starting to change, and lessening (if not stopping all together) in the summer when the AC load is constant enough to leave them on all the time. Keep this in mind if you start seeing the problem again as the seasons change.