Need help with wiring a new bath fan

Old 06-19-09, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with wiring a new bath fan

Hello-

I am going to install a new bath fan where non exists today.

Reading the installation instruction (Harbor Breeze, made by Hunter Fan), I am bit confused about whether I need to use two, 14/2 or one, 14/3 cable?

I do want two separate switches, one for light and one for fan. What would be the "most proper" way of wiring this fan?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-09, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by jtmann View Post
I am bit confused about whether I need to use two, 14/2 or one, 14/3 cable?

I do want two separate switches, one for light and one for fan.
Another nicely drawn but inaccurate diagram. On the right they show a box connector with two cables inside. One shows two conductors plus ground, the other shows one conductor. Consider instead a single jacketed cable such as 14/3.

Disregard the "Option" shown.

As you may already know, make sure if you are using 14 AWG that the circuit breaker is 15A, not 20A. If this is on a lighting circuit, in many cases 14 AWG will be correct. Use red for the fan.

In the simplest configuration, in the switch end of the 14/3, here are the connections:

Cable from load center:
Black pigtailed to both fan & light switches

Cable from Fan:
Black to light switch
Red to fan switch

All grounds connected together and bonded to metal box if any
All whites connected together

Old 06-19-09, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
By separate switches, I assume you mean two switches right next to each other in a double gang box.

In that case, it is best to use one 14/3 cable, but the code does allow for two 14/2 cables instead.

Old 06-19-09, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
I agree with Ben. However, given the small size of the fan junction boxes I think the better option is the 14-3 instead of the 2 14-2's

Old 06-19-09, 08:31 PM
I agree with those guys above me however it work the best to use 14-3 NM due most fan box I ran into are very small and don't have alot of room to work around so plan that ahead with it.

And big plus with 14-3 is that it will make it easier to just fish one cable instead of two.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-20-09, 02:56 AM
awesome guys. i am running all new cables so 14/3 in this case sounds good.

thanks again!

Old 06-20-09, 07:21 PM
I'm back (already) with another question.

My intention was to add two more switches to my existing light switch location. As it turns out, this existing box is saddled between two joists so there is only room for 2-gang box.

I picked up one of those Decora double switch control unit at HD and I am puzzled about how it should be wired?

In the back of this double switch, it has 4 posts (2 "black" screws labeled "common" and the opposite "brass" screws that says A1 and B1 respectively. The manual says the the back screws should be connected to "hot and A1 connected to "black" wire?

I always thought I should connect black wires to brass screws and white wires to silver screws?

By the way, these two switches are on the same circuit.

Old 06-20-09, 07:39 PM

In the back of this double switch, it has 4 posts (2 "black" screws labeled "common" and the opposite "brass" screws that says A1 and B1 respectively. The manual says the the black screws should be connected to "hot and A1 connected to "black" wire?

I always thought I should connect black wires to brass screws and white wires to silver screws?
If my correction above is correct, you meant black screws. This is where you hook up the hot. Then you hook up the loads to the other screws. "Common" just means that there is a common HOT conductor feeding both switches.

You never switch the white wires, so those all get wirenutted together, assuming they are all being used as neutral aka grounded conductors.

I find it is usually helpful to pencil my own diagram of exactly which wire goes where.

Old 06-21-09, 01:08 AM
I'm back (already) with another question.

My intention was to add two more switches to my existing light switch location. As it turns out, this existing box is saddled between two joists so there is only room for 2-gang box.

I picked up one of those Decora double switch control unit at HD and I am puzzled about how it should be wired?

In the back of this double switch, it has 4 posts (2 "black" screws labeled "common" and the opposite "brass" screws that says A1 and B1 respectively. The manual says the the back screws should be connected to "hot and A1 connected to "black" wire?

By the way, these two switches are on the same circuit.

I am very famuair with that switch set up the black screw is common HOT leads the A1 and B1 is load side keep in your mind with that switch the common screw can be seprated if you pull the black tab behind the switch { I will give you advice do not pull it just leave it alone unless you have two diffrent circuit then do it }

If you look at the marking say top the A1 is top switch while the B1 is bottom switch set up.

It is very straight foward to hook up the switch do not use the white wire on the swtich unless you got a switch loop that the only time if you have dead ended run { this is very tricky to deal if not carefull }

Those switches do not have silver screws at all unless you have combo switch / recpetale or switch / ploit lite or nitelite that the only time it will show up.

Merci,Marc