pool wiring

Old 06-19-09, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pool wiring

hi, just helped friend wire a aboveground pool, the situation was a hot tub is located next to wall where we ran our pvc
pipe along wall which would be between hot tub skirt and wall.
The inspector said no must be 5 ft away but the other non township inspectors said it is not problem because pools and hot tubs fall into same classification. Who is right?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-09, 06:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Well first I hope you meant PVC conduit not PVC pipe. Are you asking if the conduit must be 5 feet from the tub or if the receptacle needs to be 5 feet from the pool? Distance from a GFCI receptacle is a minimum of 5 feet. Remember to use an insulated ground and bonding if required by manufacturer.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-19-09 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-19-09, 06:48 PM
yes pvc conduit, the conduit was strapped to wall and hot tub
was inches away form the wall. conduit was next to tub skirt and the it went to pool. My question is conduit along side hot tub skirt? thanks

Old 06-19-09, 07:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'll correct my post and say 2008 says 6ft. As for the conduit I see type specified but I didn't see distance from pool but I'll let the experts answer that. (Reference 680)

Old 06-19-09, 07:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
As long as the conduit does not have any openings (receptacles, switches, etc) within 10' of the tub, I do not see any prohibition in the code of having above ground PVC conduit near the tub.

The code does specifically regulate underground conduits (art. 680.10) which must have a 5' clearance, and overhead wires (art. 680.8) which must have 22.5' clearance but is silent on above-grade conduits. Perhaps the inspector is interpreting what he feels is the intention of the code by enforcing the same rule for above ground conduits as for underground conduits; however you could have sufficient grounds for an appeal to the chief inspector in your region.

I recommend that you ask the inspector for the article number which is violated by the installation. The inspector doesn't have to give you much information, but he does have to tell you specifically which article is violated when an inspection is failed.

Old 06-19-09, 08:27 PM
Ibpooks { Ben } is right on the target with the codes and I do agree with him and you should not have any issue with PVC conduit with no opening 10 feet either side of spa/hot tub unless you have LB fitting that can be a questionable item.

Ask the inspector the code voilation number but please ask them in nice way and get a photo of it and show to the cheif inspector of that county or state level.

The inspectors are trained to tell you what code voilations you got but for rest of details it depending on some inspectors will expain more after that and some don't.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-20-09, 09:53 AM
we will ask for the article number, this area is eastern pa. and I think they use the IRC code.