Two questions about three way switches..

Old 06-20-09, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two questions about three way switches..

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but it appears to me my other one never came through.

We gutted the majority of our basement down to the studs. I'm in the middle of finishing up the electrical. I am setting up three sets of can lights all on their own sets of three ways switches being side by side in a triple gang box. I already have the 14-3 ran to the second set of switches and the 14-2 ran from those switches to the lights.

First question...On the first set of three-three way switches I only have one 14-2 power in and need to hook that up into three 14-3 going out. Can I put all the whites (four of them) together and run three pigtails off the black to hook onto each switch?

Second question...Where the second set of three way switches terminates I need to have a power out to another room. I should remember how to do it and know how on a single pole system, but I haven't done a lot of three way work before. Thanks.

Heather

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-09, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Hello Heather from a fellow Minnesotan!

Originally Posted by hpeders2 View Post
We gutted the majority of our basement down to the studs. I'm in the middle of finishing up the electrical. I am setting up three sets of can lights all on their own sets of three ways switches being side by side in a triple gang box. I already have the 14-3 ran to the second set of switches and the 14-2 ran from those switches to the lights.

First question...On the first set of three-three way switches I only have one 14-2 power in and need to hook that up into three 14-3 going out. Can I put all the whites (four of them) together and run three pigtails off the black to hook onto each switch?
If your power is coming into the first box, and the three switch legs are leaving the second box, you need to hook all the whites together but do not hook them to any switches. It is the neutral. You will pigtail the hot coming in to each of the common screw (normally dark colored) on all the switches. Then each 14/3's black and red wires will connect to the other brass screws on the switches (one 14/3 per switch) they are your travelers. In the second box you will take the travelers (black and red) of each 14/3 and connect then to the brass screws of each switch (one cable per switch). Connect one switch leg going to the lights to the black screw of each switch (one per switch) Your done.

Originally Posted by hpeders2 View Post
Second question...Where the second set of three way switches terminates I need to have a power out to another room. I should remember how to do it and know how on a single pole system, but I haven't done a lot of three way work before.
If what I described above works and is how you have it wired this is not going to be possible because you will not have a constant hot in the second box. You will have to get your hot from the first box or someplace else. Sorry.