Disconnecting Lights from Fan

Old 06-21-09, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disconnecting Lights from Fan

I am a complete electrical novice as my question will show.
I have a large working ceiling fan. On the bottom of the fan, there is a separate small metal 'bowl' that contains three light fixtures. The light fixtures 'bowl' screws into the ceiling fan. The threads on the light fixtures are now stripped and it can no longer be screwed into the fan. The light fixtures are essentially being held up by the wires and the wires are starting to short. Question: how can I safety cut and seal off the wires from the light so that I can continue to use the ceiling fan. I live near Houston, Texas so any working fan cannot be wasted. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-09, 11:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! First, remove the power to the unit. Lower the bell on the shaft of the fan and locate the wiring. You should see a green wire attached to a bare wire, white to white and black and blue (or black striped) attached to a black wire.
Usually the black with white stripe or blue wire are designated for the light fixture. Remove it from the wire nut and replace the black to black and replace the wire nut. Then you can remove the wire nuts from the light fixture, remove the fixture and return the caps to the wires left in the lower part of the fan. You should be able to locate a cover to go over the exposed bottom of the fan unit. Let us know if the parameters I described exist or if there is a difference.

Larry

Old 06-21-09, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
If it is a brand name fan you may also be able to find a replacement light kit.

Old 06-21-09, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look on top of the motor housing for a foil sticker with the manufacturer's name, model number, or UPC