Installing New Lights and Wires in a basement

Old 06-22-09, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing New Lights and Wires in a basement

Currently in my unfinished basement I have 5 single light bulb fixtures with pull chains. They are on one circuit. I have one spot open in the breaker panel for one more circuit.

I would like to install about 6 flourescent light fixtures (4 T8 bulbs/ fixture) and put them on switches for the different areas of the basement.

I would like to run the wiring myself and install the switch and then have an electrician make the connection to the box.

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to lay this out for the wiring?

Also what type of wiring should I be using (12/2)?

I need armored cable from the ballast to the junction box correct? I live in Michigan.

Thank in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-09, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Best thing to do would be to read a couple books about wiring before you start - remeber, a mistake here can start a fire.

Once you're comfortable, draw your own diagram and take it down to the inspector's office, it's his opinion you need to be concerned about in the end.

Every jurisdiction is different, the local insprector is the expert on the details for your area.

Old 06-22-09, 10:04 PM
one additional question. Does anyone have a favorite make/model of flourescent light fixture that would mount between the joists in a 1x4 size using t8 bulbs?

Old 06-23-09, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by 727driver View Post

Q.Currently in my unfinished basement I have 5 single light bulb fixtures with pull chains. They are on one circuit. I have one spot open in the breaker panel for one more circuit.
A.that is common with some setup like that.

Q.I would like to install about 6 flourescent light fixtures (4 T8 bulbs/ fixture) and put them on switches for the different areas of the basement.
A.6 of them ? it will depending on the basement layout and how you will use the basement room due each room will have diffrent layout requirement.

Q.I would like to run the wiring myself and install the switch and then have an electrician make the connection to the box.
A.This is a crictial item some electrician may not hook up if you run all the conductors yourself due safety issue / company requirement. Talk to them to see what they will say about it.

Q.Anyone have suggestions on the best way to lay this out for the wiring?
A.All it depending on how the exsting basement is set up now and will have any rooms that will be used.

Q.Also what type of wiring should I be using (12/2)?
A.for 15 amp circuit you will have to use 14-2W/G {2.5mm˛} for 20 amp circuits you use 12-2W/G{4.0mm˛}

Q.I need armored cable from the ballast to the junction box correct? I live in Michigan.
A.yes or no depending on what you plan to do with the ceiling it will affect the way you use the conductor or cables if unfisnshed or finshed ceiling will make the diffrence there.
Also your area will required GFCI protected receptales in unfinshed basement however with finshed basement it may have to switchover to AFCI breakers.

Q.Does anyone have a favorite make/model of flourescent light fixture that would mount between the joists in a 1x4 size using t8 bulbs?
A. Typically most 1X4 luminaires useally have 2 bulb set up however you can get in 3 bulb verison but it will cost more than 2 bulb verison and they do dish out pretty good amout of light.
( I deal over a dozen luminaire manufacters for that size)
Plus what more they have few diffrent lens types as well that can affect the price of the lumianires.

Thank in advance for the help.
I wrote in bold that is my answer in there.

Merci,Marc

Old 06-23-09, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the suggestion guys. I'll be calling electrician to see if we can work something out where I can pull tha cables myself.

Thank you